Looking for 68 radiator for LT1 with oil cooler - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 10, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Benjmin

Exclamation Looking for 68 radiator for LT1 with oil cooler

I have a 68 with a 96 lt1 with the oil cooler. I am having problems finding a quality radiator that matches the 2 supply and 2 return line configuration required by the lt1 that will fit the 68's 21x17" core support. any suggestions?

It seems that In addition to the standard supply and return lines of the 68, The 96 z28 rad is equipped with a 3/8 return line from the heads and a 5/8 supply line for the oil cooler. anyone know of a manufacturer that builds a compatible rad for the 68?

I know I can reroute the head return to the top of the waterneck and block the cooler but I would rather use them if at all possible.

I would prefer to use a 3 core but an aluminum 2 core will work fine that supports 400-500hp.

I have already contacted a local shop that will weld alum bungs to a good radiator for 50$ so modifying one is not a problem if that is the route i need to take but i would rather spend my money on a US made rad that is ready to install.

thanks. Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 10, 05:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Looking for 68 radiator for LT1 with oil cooler

Are you specifically looking for a aluminum radiator (shiny object) or one that is functional (not looking for bling)?

You have a couple of options- Adapt the LT1 radiator/fans for the 68, that way you could have all of the function without re-engineering the whole system. If you email Scott (Z06vette) on here, he adapted an LS type (same) to his 67 and it has worked well. He made 4 pieces of thin steel bracket in the form of a Z to adapt the new radiator to the old car.

If the radiator you have is in good shape, why not just use an aftermarket cooler and route the oil that way (like a tranny cooler). Use hoses from a 96 vette and all you have to do is trim each side a little bit but it works great.

I removed all of that stuff and changed the oil filter bracket (or whatever it is called- the one that the filter screws to) to one from a old style SBC type.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 10, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Benjmin

Re: Looking for 68 radiator for LT1 with oil cooler

130fe,

I am looking for functional setup. Bling is not so important to me. I would like a radiator that can be repaired when needed. I prefer copper/brass but AL seems to be more common and affordable.

As far as using a 96 radiator, The one i have was destroyed when the donor car was totaled. Plus, I am not a big fan of plastic end caps epoxied to aluminum fins. I don't care for the tilt of the fill cap when the 96 radiator is mounted upright and the 96 radiator measures 24-3/4 x 17 and this may interfere with the UHEC (under hood electrical center i.e. relays and fuses) I intend to mount on the core support.

I have also considered removing the oil cooler. I read someplace that the fins get clogged and drops the oil pressure killing the engine. But that still leaves me with the return pipe for the heads and replacing (or plugging) the water pump.

so before I go down that road, I would like to see if I can get a ready made radiator first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cooling, lt1, radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode