Heater Core - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Heater Core

So I finish the install of my new stroker motor (see previous post) and I take it out today to put some miles on it. As I'm cruising, I start to smell that unmistakable scent of anti -freeze (heater core dripping).Luckily,I'm just a few blocks from my local Carquest. I bought a heater hose bybass nipple and I'm back on the road. I've changed several heater cores in my life, but never a 67 camaro. Is there anything special I need to know? does it come out in the car, or does it come out through the engine bay once I remove the cover on the firewall? I'm guessing someone has already posted a "how to" on this site if anyone can re-direct me.
Thanks Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rightside.jpg
Views:	14126
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	19544  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 03:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Heater Core

Here's a good write-up I found with pics. It's not a fun job since the heater box is so tight with the inner fender.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...re+replacement

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Awesome engine compartment.. Heres a good link step by step https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...r+core+install

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

X2 Mike

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 04:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

I just removed my heater core. You have to remove the pass inner to get it out for sure. You may even have to unbolt the bottom fender bolts to give yourself some room to get it all out. See my thread on new engine. You will never get to the nuts tucked in the corner with the inner in.

Last edited by JR67RS; Apr 1st, 11 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I replaced my small block core with a big block core. I got the measurements for the new holes from an original big block car. I drilled holes in the box cover with it still in place. Project worked out simpler than I expected.

The biggest part of the project was removing the center console in order to remove the old heater core.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR67RS View Post
I just removed my heater core. You have to remove the pass inner to get it out for sure. You may even have to unbolt the bottom fender bolts to give yourself some room to get it all out. See my thread on new engine. You will never get to the nuts tucked in the corner with the inner in.
What?? I have replaced the heater core on my 67 several times and have never had to touch the fenders. Read the write-up cited by Skip and Mike; it's all in there. Takes some time, but is not difficult.

1967 Plain Jane Coupe - and proud of it!
Mountain Green w/Black Bumblebee
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rossiter View Post
What?? I have replaced the heater core on my 67 several times and have never had to touch the fenders. Read the write-up cited by Skip and Mike; it's all in there. Takes some time, but is not difficult.
I could be wrong but I think he meant yanking the cover as well with whatever method he is using. In his thumbnail it appears a block off plate is being fitted. But yes, the core is changed from inside the car.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

You don't need to remove the heater box on the engine side of the firewall. It is hard to reach some of the nuts that need to be removed on the engine side but you can get to then without removing the inner fender. All the rest of the work is done from the inside after those firewall nuts are removed.
When its time to put it back together its nice to have a helper on the engine side with some 1/2" dowel to line up the heater core pipe going through the firewall. On the inside you will be fighting the firewall insulation pad and lining up all of those studs on the inside heater box. Good luck with your project.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 12:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

On a side note, be careful of which new heater core you choose. A lot of people have complained about ones made in Mexico which are a poor fit and quality. I've heard of some guys having their old one re-cored by a radiator shop.
Take your time reinstalling the core as it's a tight fit and a bit awkward getting the tubes to fit through the firewall. You don't won't to crack a tube and end up with it leaking again.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Sorry guys I miss read the thread. I removed everything including motor, fan. I had to make some room to get the cover out off the firewall. No you don't have to remove the inner.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 11, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Randy, I just replaced the heater core on my 68' 327 with a/c. Leave the fenders alone. Heater box comes out from inside the car. Not a fun job! The hardest part was finding a heater core replacement that actually fit. Do not use Ready-Aire brand replacements. I went through three of them. None fit. Nothing like making a hard job harder. I eventually had my local radiator shop repair my original. Not a bad thing to consider. Might save you a lot of aggravation. By the way...sweet looking engine compartment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode