Electric Fan Question - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Electric Fan Question

I had a electric fan laying around from a mustang build years ago, So I took the factory fan off my 350 engine in my camaro, and Temperally zip tied it to the radiator to see how my car would react, since I have yet to have good luck with them. My el camino was the only car that did ok with one on it. Anyways, I wired it up started the car. I let it sit and idle in the garage for 20 minutes, I watched it climb, It got to 200* And stopped. It appears to be running cooler then with the factory fan with no shroud. It runs around 210-215, but thats with driving it too. My question is, I have a stock SB radiator, and a 180 thermostat, This electric fan doesnt have a fan shroud of any kind. Will this be ok? I live in Texas and temps regularly get to 110 in the summer. It throws as much air as the factory fan. Also is running it all the time ok? My El Camino had it on a temp switch, and would kick on at 200 and go off at 190. It did ok, and never left me stranded. I am thinking about just running a hot to the fuse box so it comes on and off with the key. Can anyone give me some pointers? This is how I have always ran my fans, and I havent had any luck with them. Cars that ran 180 with the factory fan and shrouds, now ran 210-215 with the electric fan.

67 RS/SS loaded with options Granada gold AKA Christine
Im a Traditionalist when it comes to Muscle Cars
04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 11:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Electric Fan Question

At minimum you want an electric fan powered through a relay to protect the rest of your electrical system. Then too you want the fan thermostatically controled to come on and shut off. No reason for it to run when it isn't necessary.

The stock fan and shroud pull air through the entire core providing even efficent heat transfer from the coolant to the core. If you use an electric that doesn't cover the entire core surface it may move as much air but the core will only be efficent in the area covered by the fan. You want to cover as much core as possible with an electric fan...

There is a video on this page about what size fan to use.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fans.html

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Well that makes since. I really have never had good luck with electric fans. My Elky had a fan that covered the entire radiator, now that I have went back and looked at pics. And it was a flex a lite. Well looks like my experiment is going to be a fail when the heat returns. I know I had a big electric fan on my 93 Mustang GT, no shroud though. The car had a 512 lift cam, edelbrock alluminum heads, intake, tb maf 24lb injectors and Hooker LT's. It never ran hotter then 190 on the hottest of days with the a/c on full blast with stock fan. I swapped over to this fan in late january of 08 right before autorama here, because I wanted the cleanest look possible. I had planed on driving it the 1 hr drive, but after a few test runs, it started running hot, causing my clutch cable to heat and I ended up having to spend 100.00 that we didnt have just to make it to the show. Actually when I got there, on set up day, I swapped the fans out for look, and the night awards were given out, I swapped it back during the show lol. When I took my elky to Super Chevy last year It was a 1 hr drive and it did ok going there, but on the way back, it was 105, and I saw it stay around 210 the whole way back. I may just put a flex a lite non electric fan on the car. I just hate the look of that ugly metal fan.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
If you are on Facebook join the group.restore that first gen camaro dont chop it up.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSC02064.jpg
Hi,
I don't know if this helps any or not but I am running a 16 inch fan with relay and 180 degree thermostat. Fan comes on at 200 and off at 180. The aluminum radiator came with a shallow shroud; I made a 4-inch deep aluminum shroud for the fan. This is on a 383 engine with big cam and heads. It sat and idled in some pretty long lines at car shows etc. last summer and never topped 205. I don't have air yet so that will be the next test. The shroud I made seemed to make 10-15 degree difference. If I run into problems I plan to make another shroud that would taper from the full core of the radiator down to the 16 inch diameter fan and mount the fan at the 16 inch area in hopes that this will pull air over all or near all of the radiator core. I like electric fans and I will not go back to a standard fan unless I can not make the electric perform as needed.
gene68ss
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech

Trey, a fan needs a shroud of some sort.
Otherwise they cannot effectively move air through the radiator.

Also do you have a picture of the fan? Even one with it temporarily rigged to the radiator?
Many aftermarket electric fans do not move enough air to keep an engine cool. The $75-$100 ones I can buy at the local parts store would not keep my car cool.
I ended up with an electric fan and shroud from a Ford Taurus works great.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 11, 10:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I have not driven much during the summer here yet but it is over 100 everyday. The few times I tried it out my electric fan worked great (never went over 200 even with the air on). It is a black magic Xtreme 180. A good shroud is essential and as Dennis said above using a relay supplied by fused power is important. This will take a big load off the fuse box and under dash circuits. You can pick up power at your horn relay and a fusible link at the source works good for these types of loads.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 04:38 AM
Guess

A couple relay diagrams.... Thank you Mr. Sellers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	20275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay-Diagram.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	20276  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Thanks guys, I can take some pictures here in a little bit. I will just buy one with a shroud. Im running a factory fan with out a shroud now. This could be why it gets up around 210.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Lincoln Mark8 fan pulls tons of air, fits a Camaro almost perfectly and has a shroud.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goldrsss View Post
Im running a factory fan with out a shroud now. This could be why it gets up around 210.
Yup.
The factory fan with a shroud should keep up, without it not much chance...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 11, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Lincoln Mark8 fan pulls tons of air, fits a Camaro almost perfectly and has a shroud.
Interesting, is this a single fan or dual set-up? Do you know what year or years? I am good for now but this is good information to have on hand.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 11, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

its all about CFM with electric fans. if the fan doesn't have enough, it wont cool. i run a 2300cfm 16" no shroud and dead up to the finns. ifan comes on at 205* and turns off at 185* with a 180 thermostat. it time cycles about 70%OFF/30%ON, on a 95* day at idle. its viruually OFF 100% of the time the car is moving forward.
The down side is high CFM = ampere drawl.
The up side is less ON time

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

Last edited by joe clance; Feb 1st, 11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: addtl info
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 11, 02:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

I got a Volvo fan & shroud off of ebay that fits perfectly. I have it wired with a relay, but would like to get a thermostat in line so it doesn't run all of the time. Where's a good place to get one & does anyone have a diagram on how to wire this in.

Go big, or stay Home!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 05:59 AM
John

Garage

I run a dual spal fan set up with full shroud, aluminum radiator and a Dakota Digital fan controller.

Fan#1 set for on at 185 fan 2 on at 195.

Vegas heat SBC 408 no cooling problems.

Last edited by Vega$69; Feb 3rd, 11 at 07:36 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 11, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trey Burks

Im sorry I havent gotten to take any pictures. When I did this, it was 70* its been frozen and under 20* for the last 2 days. Its not supposed to get into the 40's until saturday. Hopefully I can make it out there then and take some pics.

04 F150 4 door 5.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode