vintage air ac/heater hoses - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

vintage air ac/heater hoses

I plan to buy the vintage air system in the future(cant afford it now), but I already have the sanden compressor that came with my march serpintine setup. So I wanted to intall the 2 cooling and 2 heating hoses through the firewall behind the inner wheel well. I read what I thought was a good idea, which was instead of installing a bulkhead, just drill 4 holes and install rubber grommets...so if you had a leak, it wouldnt be in a spot you couldnt get to.

I dont know that much about a/c lines and compressor/evaporators but I was hoping I could just get the correct fittings to either loopback or cap the hoses under the dash for now and in the future connect them to the vintage air unit. I dont think there would be an issue with the heat but not sure about the a/c. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug wires  dash wiring 002.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	20575  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: vintage air ac/heater hoses

Topher, you may want to get in touch with Frank at Prodigy Customs at http://prodigycustoms.com/ Frank is very helpful around here and is a sponsor as well and sells/installs vintage air systems. He offers a hidden hose routing just like your are planning. He may be able to work something out with you. Hope this helps.

Jim & Yvonne
1968 Camaro
468 BBC, Turbo 400, 4.10 12 Bolt.

2010 Camaro SS/RS, Black on Black Leather

2008 GMC Crew Cab 4x4, LMM Duramax, Allison 6 Speed,
6" Cognito Lift, 35" Nitto's
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

I will contact Frank and see what he can offer. Thanks Jim.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 11, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Vintage air will sell you part components as you go. Call them.

I would gut the heat system and buy the firewall plates at least for now. Also, you can just buy the Vintage AC/ heat box and put the hose kit, etc on later. The box itself is not that bad in price.

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

If you get the 67 Chevelle blower motor cover to rout the 4 hoses through the side vent area through the blower hole and it will work. I have pics how I did mine if you look at some old threads. You don't want all those bulk head connectors, just run the hoses to the engine. Works great and hides the hoses.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Bruce can you show us some interior pictures?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 08:19 AM
John

Garage

You can use the fresh air cap with 4 holes in it from VA for a 66/67 Chevelle.

I have the March Serp System on my 69 line with the Sanderson Comp. I'm in the process of adding VA as we speak.

You'll have to use a different Hose/Line Part # as the VA SureFit mounts the Comp on the Driver side.

I'm just going to use the Firewall Plate as routing though the Fender and Fresh Air Hole is a PIA (did it on my 66 Chevelle)

VA sell the need Hose Kit. You can call them for the Part #
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I see you smoothed your firewall already. Did you fill in the hole for the blower motor. If you did then just use 4 grommets instead of the chevelle plate.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Also, since you have a smooth firewall, you will need to weld a couple of studs to the interior side of your firewall to mount the vintage air unit. This may cause an issue since your firewall is already completed.

Jim & Yvonne
1968 Camaro
468 BBC, Turbo 400, 4.10 12 Bolt.

2010 Camaro SS/RS, Black on Black Leather

2008 GMC Crew Cab 4x4, LMM Duramax, Allison 6 Speed,
6" Cognito Lift, 35" Nitto's
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
Also, since you have a smooth firewall, you will need to weld a couple of studs to the interior side of your firewall to mount the vintage air unit. This may cause an issue since your firewall is already completed.
This is what we did when we test fitted the unit before doing the firewall. We wanted it to mount alittle more securely. And not have screws sticking through.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

The firewall had already been smoothed when I bought the car and when I look under the dash on pass side, I can see a square hole in the original firewall sheetmetal about 6"x8". Was this done correctly? Looking into the space behind the kick panel, I can see a round hole in the original firewall which is where I was thinking of putting the 4 grommets for the hoses to come through. Looks like I would have to do some cutting around the top edge of the kick panel opening if I went that route. After talking with a tech at VA, I might take John's advise and use the VA plate in the square opening mentioned above. I think the "sure fit" system with the different hose/line part# will work. The evap. box was $780.00. Thanks for all the advise everyone.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 12:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
you have pics of these studs that need to be welded on the inside?? Dang I smoothed out my firewall too NOT KNOWING anything about studs needed to be welded?? Prob gonna mess up my paint huh?

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
topher

Armando, I also dicussed this issue with the tech. at Vintage Air. You may be able to fab up a bracket that would attatch to the cowl area above the firewall, then bolt the box to the bracket. The installation instructions can be downloaded off thier site to get an idea how it might work. Like that color!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 01:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 383 tko 5sp View Post
Armando, I also dicussed this issue with the tech. at Vintage Air. You may be able to fab up a bracket that would attatch to the cowl area above the firewall, then bolt the box to the bracket. The installation instructions can be downloaded off thier site to get an idea how it might work. Like that color!
This is what I would do and If you need to add some to the bottom they could secure to the very bottom ofthe firewall where it starts at an angle down. Then you would not see the bolt heads.

I am getting ready to start installing this on my friends car next week.

Mike

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 11, 02:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

This is what I did on the last install. It was a gen1 kit though. I cut the inner metal above the hole of the kick panel so the hoses did not come out real low in the kick panel area.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode