American Eagle Radiator - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 11, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

American Eagle Radiator

I just ordered an American Eagle aluminum radiator off eBay for my 68.
For $159.94 (including shipping) I figured I would give it a try.
I contacted them, and they assured me that if I was unhappy with it for any reason, they would give me a full refund...including all shipping charges.
They have 100% positive feedback with 208 units sold.

I probably should have gone with a higher quality unit, but the worst thing that could happen is that it is junk and I'll have to return it.

I'll let y'all know how it checks out when it arrives.

68RS Project - taking much longer than expected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 11, 04:12 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Re: American Eagle Radiator

Thanks Chris.

I'm going to need one for a BBC. Post some pics !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 11, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

As soon as it arrives, I will take some pics and post them.

Before I placed the order, I went to the American Eagle Radiator website for more information. It all seemed good, so I went back to eBay and clicked on "Buy It Now."
After I sent my payment through paypal, I found my payment went to "Champion Cooling." Something tells me that American Eagle Radiators and Champion Radiators are the same thing. Not that I mind too much, since I have heard good things about Champion radiators. I'm just not very happy that American Eagle radiators may be made in China.
I will confirm this when it arrives and let everyone know.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

I will be interested in hearing what you find out Chris. Thanks.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You fell for the oldest trick in the book. Use a lot of patriotic or American terms to make an offshore part sound like it may be made in the US. $160 shipped for an aluminum radiator should have tipped you off.

Don't worry though....I've got a three row Champion and cannot make the car hit 180 degrees even at extended idle.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I thought the price was low
I checked out the American Eagle Radiator website. It stated "The area of our factory is 243,000 square feet and our warehouse is 47,000 square feet located in Southern California."
I placed the order after reading that. Then when I went back to read the website again, I realized that technically it stated the warehouse was in California, not the factory. You are right...I did fall for it.
Steiner, I did read some of your posts about your radiator in the past. That is why I am not too upset about what I am getting.
I'll see how it works out and let everyone know.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 11, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

My radiator arrived today.
It is the Champion aluminum radiator as I expected.
It was packed very well and arrived in excellent condition. The welds all look good.
It will be a while before I am ready to start the engine, but so far it looks ok.
I feel better knowing others have had good luck with the Champion brand.

Just beware...if you are ordering a radiator from American Eagle Radiator Company out of California, you will be getting a Champion Cooling radiator made in China.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 10:51 AM

That's part of the Champion gimmick. When ever one of their 15 or so Ebay IDs gets too much negative feedback, they create a new one and offer low-ball pricing to get the feedback pumped up. Then when that new one gets some negative feedback, they dump it and repeat the process again with a new ID.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 11:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropyrad View Post
That's part of the Champion gimmick. When ever one of their 15 or so Ebay IDs gets too much negative feedback, they create a new one and offer low-ball pricing to get the feedback pumped up. Then when that new one gets some negative feedback, they dump it and repeat the process again with a new ID.
ebay allows that???!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Anybody want to hear my radiator story from last season? As you know, you're gonna get it anyway.

I'm on the stagging lane. Track manager gives me the throat-slash, kill your engine universal signal. I did. Fan clutch failed, coned forward and took out my recent Griffin radiator. The original fan went along for the ride but was not damaged. Of course the weekend was over. Loaded up the car and went home. The Griffin was a $675 unit. Not good. Called Summit. We talked at length while he (salesman) gave me measurements and I measured. Then he quoted their "universal" aluminum radiator. $215. The dimensions were great. 'Where is it made' I asked. 'I don't know' he said. 'Drat' I said. (it was more like)
So I ordered it. Two days later I was looking at nearly an exact copy of my original L78/ZL1 radiator. (still have it) But this one had no petcock or side mount brackets. No sweat. Mine sits in a tray that I built about 25 years ago. And this radiator is an exact perfect fit for a BBC 69 Camaro. 'universal' huh?
And the carton didn't have a place of manufacture on it. What the hell happened to our trade laws?

This is an old Hayden. Indistinguishable from my original, except for the self destruction, of course.

Here's the victim.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-093X.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	20919

Here's the Summit 'universal'. Even the lower outlet is perfectly angled toward the waterpump. That takes the twist-load off of the hose. The Griffin, nor the original did that.

Name:	MVC-095X.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	20920

Also it will not let the engine temp rise above 170 at anytime. Just an option for you Chris.

http://www.entropyrad.com/ OK, wait a minute. Where were you guys when I needed you?

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

Last edited by Fred Ficarra; Mar 3rd, 11 at 12:45 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Got mine from Entrophy, sure paid a bit more but I support the USA stuff. Got a direct drop in and it even fit my factory shroud. Yea, I know the shroud upper bracket is in the wrong place, still looking for a roundtoit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	20921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	20922  

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
ebay allows that???!

Yep, just like Team Camaro allows a vendor to join the board and devote over half their posts to bashing a competitor's product.

FYI, the ebay vendor I bought my Champion radiator from almost two years ago is still active, has been a member since 2002, and has a feedback of nearly 2500 with 99.5% positive. Meanwhile a buddy of mine has bought two radiators directly from Griffin since they are right down the road and both of them cracked open. Like it or not, there are some offshore manufacturers that offer a fair balance between quality and price.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Yep, just like Team Camaro allows a vendor to join the board and devote over half their posts to bashing a competitor's product.

FYI, the ebay vendor I bought my Champion radiator from almost two years ago is still active, has been a member since 2002, and has a feedback of nearly 2500 with 99.5% positive. Meanwhile a buddy of mine has bought two radiators directly from Griffin since they are right down the road and both of them cracked open. Like it or not, there are some offshore manufacturers that offer a fair balance between quality and price.
I NOT like it.
Last year we talked about roll-around dollies that are used under the tires. The group was talking about a great price from an off shore manufacturer. There was also a similar product, but stronger for twice the money and USA made. That did it. Ordered them. They're still in a corner of the garage unassembled. Might need 'em someday but a US worker needs work now.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 06:41 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropyrad View Post

I am new here and do not want to bash one of your vendors/supporters however, there is no "gimmick".

The vendors that sell product for Champion are free to sell at whatever price they would like to. There is no "low balling". As far as the 15 eBay user ID's, you must be mistaken. There are a handfull of us that sell on eBay and while some may run two stores, you're dreaming to think that eBay would allow us to have 15 different user ID's.

As far as the import/domestic issue, it comes down to personal choice. If you shop at Wal-mart, Sears, Kmart, Costco, Sams Club and then bash someone for buying an "gimmick import" radiator off eBay personally in my book, you're a hypocrite. Next time you're out shopping, check some of the labels and see where the item was made.

BTW, I happen to like Entropyrad's radiators and wish him and his company well.

Sincerly,

David

Full time Teamster (Dairy) and part time eBay seller.

Last edited by Christian Radiator; Mar 8th, 11 at 08:58 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Three row Champion radiator.....On Monday, I drove thirty minutes to the dyno shop and put my car straight on the dyno. The dyno is inside the shop and they did not run the fans that they have there. Never shut the car off during the session....started off running it up in neutral just to verify my timing, then did five runs to 6000+ RPM with a break in between each so I could check my data log and adjust fuel. The car temp never moved past 175. Not a bit. The radiator didn't blow up, I didn't get lead poisoning from it, and a bald eagle didn't drop dead on top of the car.

I would love to buy American for everything but right now I just can't afford it. Besides, if I wanted the car to be 100% US made it would only be about 50% of a car right now.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode