reproduction fan shroud quality - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
joel

reproduction fan shroud quality

Was wondering what if any issues anyone has experienced with the "OER" reproduction fan shrouds, such as poor fitting, looks, etc. I see these sell for a little over $50.00 compared to over $160.00 for a GM replacement version. I need to replace mine and was wondering which way to go. Has anyone repainted the original with decent results? Mine has mostly small cuts/scratches and a few scuffs, but fits fine, just looks a little rough. The car is a frame off restoration (getting to the end and budget starting to get tight) so I need it to look halfway decent. Thanks
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: reproduction fan shroud quality

I paid $125 shipped for mine from GM Parts Direct. I have no experience with the OER shrouds but went with an OEM based on teh complaints about the aftermarket ones being too thin and flimsy.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

They look very different from the originals, so it is obvious it is a repop. The GM versions do not look very good either. I was lucky enough to have a Camaro parts house here in town (Firewheel Classics) and they let me look through their entire stock to find the nicest one. Still not perfect but better than what I had.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

They will work but they are flimsey. I had to force mine down to just clear the fan blade on the bottom.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I just bought an OER repop for a 69 BB from Rick's. The tech dept told me it was retooled and better than GM quaility so I bought one. Well guess what, I'm sending it back as it still has all the pit marks, rough ground edges, and it is warped just like the one I bought almost a year ago and sent back.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 01:45 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnide View Post
I just bought an OER repop for a 69 BB from Rick's. The tech dept told me it was retooled and better than GM quaility so I bought one. Well guess what, I'm sending it back as it still has all the pit marks, rough ground edges, and it is warped just like the one I bought almost a year ago and sent back.
Unfortunately that is a typical answer you will get from a Camaro parts retailer. You just can't take their word for it on reproduction stuff.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I bought a reproduction one. It was flimsy but it seemed OK...until I installed it and spun the fan blade by hand. The fan hits on the passenger side.
Maybe once I start it, the fan will just cut away the offending material and all will be good

68RS Project - taking much longer than expected
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

Joel I sent you a pm!~

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I am using the "814" repop with no complaints from Firewheel Classics. Guess they are the same.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode