Heater core leaking on engine side - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Heater core leaking on engine side

Just got my car back from paint shop, and finished putting the outside together. The inside is not put back together yet. I took it for a drive tonight and saw a big puddle of anti freeze on the garage floor. After further inspection I found the leaking is coming from the bottom right side of heater core on the engine compartment side. It does not appear to be a leaky hose. Is there a gasket in there that has gone bad or is it as simple as tighting the bolts? If something needs to be done I guess now is the time. My carpet, console and everything else is out of the car. I really don't want to take off my fender as I just got the car painted. Any help would be much apprecitated. Thanks. It's a 69...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 09:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: Heater core leaking on engine side

It is either the core has a hole, which is pretty common, or the hoses. Try repositioning the hose and clamp and re-tighten it. Replace the clamp if it is bent and maybe trim the end of the hoses if they are stretched out.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 11, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The heater radiator comes out from inside the car....It is the fan that people have trouble needing to remove the fender...bit simplistic.
If the leak is out of the 'vent hole' in the engine compartment it sounds like, when it was put in one of the tubes for the hoses was kinked /moved slightly to line up with the holes /hoses on the engine compartment side.
Doing so usualy results in cracking the solder joint into the radiator headers.
Generally If the core leaks, it leaks onto the passengers floor.

So no need to pull the fender or rhe engine compartment cover....all done inside the cabin under the glove box....pull thr glove box, makes the job far easier
And not the way the flaps inside the heater box sit /open...
Get them wrong and some parts work others dont and get hot ot cold air where when dont want.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremie

There is no leaking into the car. I currently have everything out. There is no carpet, or anything. It's just metal in there. I will try to reposition the hose's but the leak looks like it is coming out from underneath the heater box cover on the engine compartment side. It was a puddle about the size of a soft ball. Would it be bigger, or more if it was a hole in the core?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 04:48 AM
JERRY

Mine was leaking the same way so i replaced the heater core,tured out that the solder joint around the tube where the hose goes on was broken,i think i got lucky it leeked on the engine side,was not hard to replace, i did it all from the inside.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Where is the best place to get a new heater core? Local auto parts store, should I buy a specific brand? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced while I have it out, and about how long does a job like that take? I've been kinda kicking around the thought of vintage air. I wonder if now is the time?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 05:13 AM
JERRY

I got mine at autozone, i think they said it came from Mexico.There lots of good posts on this site that i used that are very helpful. The hardest part for me was getting the tubes through the fire wall,it is tricky but with one guy inside and one guy outside it will go. No need to take the fender off,all from under the dash, hope this helps.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 06:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

If you can get at it easily now is definitely the time to replace it. After all, it's like 42-43 years old! I got mine from Autozone. The one listed for a 67 was incorrect but the one listed for a 68 was right for my 67.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I had to sweat the solder joints on new core barbs, as they were fragile out of the box.
Common problem with the cores, if you look at the barbs wrong, the solder breaks, but it is a simple fix; you just have the clean the barb areas really well.
Flux, solder, reinstall carefully.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you don't go Vintage Air, it can be recored. We had a rad shop attached the the shop and did many. Although real rad shops are diminishing. It's always easier with help but can be done solo, just like everything else on the car. Don't toss the old one. Some people want them.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

The best heater radiators are from Rare Spares in Aussie for the HZ Holden...identical except the HZ has shorter pipes.....doesnt take much to unsolder those anf throw some heavier walled far more robust pipes in with far better solder joints.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Al

This would be a good time to consider switching to the BB style heater core. You can mod your SB box w/o removing it from the car.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 09:57 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Yeah, heater cores can be a pain... I went through three of them while getting my car right. As mentioned, the solder where the bottom tube connects to the core is the normal culpret. They only put about 1mm worth of tube inside the core, which is terrible IMO. I would like to see a company make them where they screw in AND are soldered. Or, if it was just a rubber hose coming through there instead, it would be a lot easier.

You can get heater cores from National Parts Depot or your local parts store, but the NPD ones fit a little better in my opinion.

By the way, this is also a good time to get some insulation for the heater box, which you can also get from NPD.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Just a thought...
Rather than getting a new heater core, just take the one you have to a radiator repair shop and have them fix it. A lot of the heater cores that come new have weak solder welds and you will have the same problem later down the road. If a radiator shop fixes your old one, you can have them solder the heck out of it and you wont have any problems again. Thats what I did and teh solder weld is 10x better then when I got it new.

Good luck whatever you do.

Matt
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Just a thought...
Rather than getting a new heater core, just take the one you have to a radiator repair shop and have them fix it. A lot of the heater cores that come new have weak solder welds and you will have the same problem later down the road. If a radiator shop fixes your old one, you can have them solder the heck out of it and you wont have any problems again. Thats what I did and teh solder weld is 10x better then when I got it new.

Good luck whatever you do.

Matt
M8 that is the ONLY sensable thing to do....and if the radiator shop is any good they will drop in a couple new heavier walled tubes ...and ask to have the car so they can line them up correct thru the holes in the engine bay cover....and make them 1/2 " longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode