Radiator wellnuts!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Radiator wellnuts!!!

Hi guys,
putting radiator back in and have the Rick's wellnuts and bolts. My question is what is the point of them in the first place??
I imagine it is for cushioning the radiator, but why? And if that's their purpose, why aren't they on all four holes?

Fill me in. Are they really necessary? They seen like they wiuld deteriorate rather quickly and maybe allow the radiator to flop or something on that side.

RJ Bailey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Radiator wellnuts!!!

I have changed them out every time I am working in this area as they do flex and allow your radiator to absorb some of this flex as it does in the subframe. So where do you want the flex, in the radiator or rubber encased nut.

You can get these wellnuts at Lowes or Homedepot. Not a hard item to find.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech

Radiators expand and contract a bit as they warm and cool.

I am sure they cost GM a bit more to use than a regular bolt/weld nut, so they would not have been used if there was not a good reason to do so.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 12:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Recently bought some at Lowes.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Radiators expand and contract a bit as they warm and cool.

I am sure they cost GM a bit more to use than a regular bolt/weld nut, so they would not have been used if there was not a good reason to do so.
That is exactly why they are there. You will see them on new cars as well. A common item that can be purchsed at most well stocked hardware stores.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

I imagine they used them for flex of the car and heat expansion. You can get them at Ace. I think they are worthless. I have had some tear and pull out. I use one on the bottom left only because the hole doesn't go all the way through the core support. The upper left one, I use a grommet and a brass insert inside the grommet. Both gotten at Ace. The brass insert needs to be ground down a little to be the same thickness as the grommet. The insert has a ID of a 1/4". Then I just use a bolt, couple of washers and a nylock nut. Haven't had an issue since.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Thanks for all the good ideas. i put them in, but we will see how it all stays together. Not sure the engineers were on the right track there, but maybe.

RJ
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 07:15 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post
Thanks for all the good ideas. i put them in, but we will see how it all stays together. Not sure the engineers were on the right track there, but maybe.

RJ
I bolted my radiator in about 10 yrs and 30,000+ miles ago using them and they still hold fine. They dampen the core which is soldered together. If the core was bolted hard to the support I bet it would start leaking (cracked solder joints) long before the rubber nut-certs give out... I'm sure there are 40 year cars out there with the orig rubber still in place doing the job!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

The originals on my vert are still in place doing the job. The hot rod however ripped them out the first season of wheelies and my heavy Ron Davis radiator is bolted in with no rubber at all any more.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

F**d uses them too.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post

RJ
They are on my '67 with no issues. And they were on a '95 Wrangler I had in for paint. If they were NG I think the engineers would have eliminated them by now. They don't fare well upon removal but replacements are cheap and easily obtained.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

I got them in, and they are much stronger than I had thought they would be. Didn't think about the solder. I like my car to be reasonably original, except for the engine, since, when I bought the car, it didn't have the original anyway. Glad I put them in now, but still not sure how much to tighten.

RJ
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Flatten the lock washer, then one flat of the head.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 04:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

good thread! i just finished installing a brand new 3" thick Griffin for my BBC and ditched the well nuts (driver side) and thru bolted.

Didn't really think about the radiator support twisting (600+ torque) or the thermal expansion. I'll go back to new well nuts but will likely throw one slightly "loose" thru bolt just in case

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros

Last edited by Tom P; Apr 6th, 11 at 06:24 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Was wondering about this myself, going to be mounting my Cold Case. A lot of FB guys like using rubber grommets as a "vibration pad" on all four mounting bolts. Put the grommet between core support and radiator side mount.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode