high flow water pump - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
RICK

high flow water pump

hey guys, here's another stupid water pump question. will a high flow water pump cause the engine to run a little warm by running the coolant through the rad. to fast and not letting it stay in the rad long enough to cool properly. i also have a high flow t.stat that works fine. car runs about 185 to 190 going down the road but when i get in traffic it goes to 195 to 200. don't know if this is problem or not just seems a little warm to me. by the way it also has a 4core rad in it. thanks, rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 05:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Re: high flow water pump

You did not mention your engine combo but 195-200 is not too hot. A lot of guys would kill to have their temp only go to that in traffic.

-Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

Total urban legend. If you have a good high flow pump and a high flow stat overheating is something else.
It sounds like since it's an at idle issue its the radiator.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
will a high flow water pump cause the engine to run a little warm by running the coolant through the rad. to fast and not letting it stay in the rad long enough to cool properly.
Quote:
Total urban legend.
BS
there is a lot of discussion, on the subject...therorist and those who have come across the problem, time and time again...including Smokey Yunick back in the 60s/70s
Running a radiator in good condition, no bloked or restricted cores and no flow restrictor (thermostat which happen to be built not just to temps specs but also flow rates..I wonder why) will run hot
IF it is an orginal old school over built radiator
The issue doesnt exist with modern radiators or many old school european cars ..because they are made JUST large enough to do the job.

Im not saying that this is your issue.....when was the last time the radiator headers where removed and cores manually cleaned.
Shroud correct?
Clutch fan?

And what many people have got to learn...and manufactures propaganda dont mention this...hurts shareholders returns....what is good for the track very often is not good for street....

Quote:
don't know if this is problem or not just seems a little warm to me. by the way it also has a 4core rad in it. thanks, rick
It is not a temp to worry about...but it is a sign somethng is not right

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
george

Your temps fall into normal operating ranges.The idle temp could be improved with more airflow thru the entire core surface.

Here is were the general got it right.Fixed blade clutch fan with a full shroud is a very efficient set up.At idle speed in gridlock traffic,yanking air across 100% of the core surface is very desireable.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
RICK

sorry didn't make my self clear on the engine combo it's a 290hp350 gm crate motor i have afixed blade fan with a 2" spacer. the blades are 1/2 in and out of the fan shroud like it's supposed to be , the rad is only 3yrs old and in good working cond. thanks, rick
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
george

Air is lazy like most of us.lol.Anything you can do to seal off the shroud to the rad will result in more air pulled thru the core at idle rpm.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you run the sending unit in one of the engine heads it's probably not an issue. My mechanical gauge in the head reads 15-20 degrees higher than the ECT sensor in the intake. I think the tip of the long probe is really close to the combustion chamber. Pinging all over the engine with an infrared gun says the ECT is closer to the right temp. When the car is cold the ECU temperature (mounted on the throttle body) reads the same as the ECT so the ECT is good. Watching the mechanical gauge in the head, you can see the 180 degree thermostat start to open when it gets close to 200 while the ECT reads a constant 175.

For the record, it's been like that on two different engines...a 355 with stock iron heads and Performer RPM intake and a 400 with AFR aluminum heads and RPM AirGap intake.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Good link. Also don't mix and match thermostats and pump styles. I mistakenly put one of those thermostats meant for a blocked bypass pump system in with my regular pump. It took FOREVER for the car to heat up which was a pain since my EFI system would not adjust long term fuel trims unless the coolant was over 145, plus it would run on cold enrichment way too long.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
BS
there is a lot of discussion, on the subject...therorist and those who have come across the problem, time and time again...including Smokey Yunick back in the 60s/70s
Running a radiator in good condition, no bloked or restricted cores and no flow restrictor (thermostat which happen to be built not just to temps specs but also flow rates..I wonder why) will run hot
Quote:
Total urban legend. If you have a good high flow pump and a high flow stat overheating is something else.
It sounds like since it's an at idle issue its the radiator.
BS? What part Steps since you agreed with me, see the in bold section of my original quote... Also note he says he already has a high flow T stat...

And I have also read a great deal regarding this issue, but as I stated originally, contrary to internet folklore, if you are running the proper equipment a high flow pump moving water "too fast" is as I already pointed out....BS

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 11, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

OK..fine
Quote:
And I have also read a great deal regarding this issue,
you know so much of what I have read...and we are talking parrot diets, care, feeding choclate and avaocado to parrots, acorns.....and caring for roses, pruning, lawns...
MOST of what I have read is BS..purpetuated by people who read books and dont actually try stuff and find out for themselves...believe what their mother cousins wifes grandsons work m8 says
From the above, since I have exrenive libararies on old roses, books going back 100s of yrs, same with the other subjects.....I can trace references in these books and actually ID where these myths come from...
Personally I doubt damn near everything I read in a book..untill I have seen with my own eyes, or done with my own hands.
Fortunately we have guys here, who have decades of hands on experiance....not read in a post or book...even if written by a guy with a string of PhDs...but has no practical expriance as to has idea why a open ended spanner has a bend in it.

Sry m8 ... This sublect about fast water thru a radiator has popped up time and again with so called experts quoting technical BS....or have only done it on old radiators...not a brand new or one they have manually cleaned the cores and headers....
Every time it comes up they post their book worm, neighbours uncles ..blah blah BS expertise
yep sorry if I jumped to conclusions...

Quote:
the rad is only 3yrs old and in good working cond.
So 3 yrs old...that means squat, and good working condition....how was that established? pulling the headers?
What I dont get is people put in new engines, rebuild an engine, put in new oil pump....maybe a new water pump, but dont spend a few bucks , getting headers pulled and cleaned , radiator tested....and compare that to the cost of the new engine....defies logic...they have a new raditor few yrs old and assume its ok...and have never pulled an old or even a relativly new one apart...

Dump the fixed fan put on a factory clutch...basically everything factory and u will be good to do a NASCAR race WOT with no heating issues....

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Steps thats all interesting regarding the roses and parrot diets, but your pissing up a flagpole here...
I said the same damn thing you did and that was why I was wondering wth you were calling 'BS' on. As I said, if it has a high flow pump And a high flow T stat the high flow pump is not the problem.
Maybe your New Zealander doesn't translate english well or something, but that was my point, we said the same thing.....

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I know m8...no glasses on...miss read and thought "oh crap here we go again..."
" next thing we know hes going to come in with all the PHd tecnical BS...."
So i wrongly jumped hard...
And
Quote:
yep sorry if I jumped to conclusions...

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 11, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
RICK

damn guys ididn't want tostart a piss'n match here, all i wanted wqas a possible solution to my question and where to start. from what i gather from from your answers is i need to take the rad out and have it checked at my local rad shop but i find it hard to believe that the rad is clogged up. by the way the sender for the idiot light is in the intake and the mech.gauge is in the head if that makes any difference, ive read that a gauge in the head will read about 10degrees warmer than in the intake . i've watch the flow at idle and it doesn't seem to flow as well as the one in my wife's 73 rs that is just about finished, so any way thanks for the help rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode