Aluminum Radiator fluid question - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Aluminum Radiator fluid question

I just put in a new Ron Davis aluminum radiator and was wondering if there is any differant fluids that belong in the aluminum radiators. I was told regular prestone and distilled water mix. Sound right ? or anything better?

383 with iron heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

Re: Aluminum Radiator fluid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rook View Post
I just put in a new Ron Davis aluminum radiator and was wondering if there is any differant fluids that belong in the aluminum radiators. I was told regular prestone and distilled water mix. Sound right ? or anything better?

383 with iron heads
Also, anybody using anodes?

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I just use 50/50 distilled water and the SuperTech Extended Life "mixes with any coolant" brand from Wal-Mart. Have used it alone, mixed with a Dex-Cool vehicle, and on a factory filled Mopar vehicle with zero issues.

Anodes can be hit or miss but are cheap and extra insurance. They are meant to be a sacrificial metal instead of the aluminum if you have an issue with electrolysis which is when the coolant carries electricity and causes a charge across the aluminum. Maintaining good grounds to prevent that is the best way to prevent it but an anode can be considered a back up.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Are "anodes" an additive thats added to the radiator? I do have a warning on the radiator to check for electrolysis.

Should I run a copper ground from the radiator to the frame?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rook View Post
Are "anodes" an additive thats added to the radiator? I do have a warning on the radiator to check for electrolysis.

Should I run a copper ground from the radiator to the frame?
If you have electrolysis, grounding the radiator increases the chance for corrosion since the stray voltage in the coolant will try to conduct to ground through the radiator if it's the path of least resistance.

You check for electrolysis by putting a meter lead on the battery negative with the car and all accessories running, and then submerging the other lead in the coolant. The value should be as low as possible, 0.15V AC or DC is considered the action level for aluminum by some standards.

The best things you can do is maintain the electrical system with good grounds and keep your coolant flushed and changed out every couple of years. The grounding issue is obvious and the coolant change helps get rid of it before it starts to turn acidic in which case it the electrolytic properties get stronger and it becomes more conductive.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Distilled water and Hyper Lube http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Super-Coolant-c8.html is what I have run for years, no issues since making the switch. No rust in the block and no scale or corrosion in the radiator. No need for anti freeze unless you are in a climate that freezing is an issue. The car will cool better as well.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 11:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Kevin,
Factory cars have been using aluminum radiators for 30+ years, so just about any good coolant with distilled water should be A-OK. Just for fun, I'm running Dex-cool and distilled water in my '68 with aluminum radiator for the past 10 years with no problems.

I really like Steiner's recommendation to check for voltage potential in your radiator coolant - I am going to do it!

Regards, Steve
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

thanks all, never thought so much about coolant before. I will go with your suggestions and also do the test. ...

ya gotta love this site.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
I have one in my Ron Davis sure cant hurt and any extra insurance is good insurance for what the radiator costs!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...51994/10002/-1

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
When I installed a 200 4R trans, BTO suggested going to an aluminum radiator for better cooling. Bought the alum radiator from SUMMIT. I cliked on their "suggested parts" tab and a zinc anode was recommended.Bought it.It screws into where the petcock is at the base of the radiator. Yes, I am an easy upsell. That was three years ago and there is no galvanic action visible. Knock on wood.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thanks, just ordered one (now that I know what it is).
Just replace it where the drain plug goes? too easy.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yep, pretty easy. Also remember OEM's have been using plastic end tanks for awhile so many radiators aren't ground paths like ours are. If you've got electrolysis, the heater core and aluminum radiator are going to be the most likely places for it to show up since they're so thin. If your two metals where the current is passing are closer on the galvanic scale it's not much of an issue but aluminum and iron aren't so close.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode