VA Gen 4 installation in 68' Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 11, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

VA Gen 4 installation in 68' Camaro

Question for anyone who installed VA kit in a 68. Any suggestion on best looking way to plug small hole next to the astro vent round dash vent ball/bezels (no longer used after installing VA system)? Also, has anyone coated (flocked) the inside of the VA two piece glove box? What did you use. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 11, 09:35 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Send a message via Skype™ to San Diego Car Guy
Re: VA Gen 4 installation in 68' Camaro

I am getting ready to install my VA in my 68. Do you have a pic of the astro vent you describe? Also, what are you suggesting with the coated glove box?
Thanks
Paul

Current Stable:
'68 Camaro SS; '13 Audi S4, '04 Ford F350 Diesel; '99 Mazda Spec Miata

Out to Pasture:
'06 BMW M3; '05 FFR Cobra Replica; '08 Ultima GTR; '09 Corvette Z06. '09 Toyota Tacoma
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Vintage air two piece metal glove box comes with the VA Gen 4 kit. It's painted metal....would look better if flocked (would look more like the factory cardboard glove box). Don't want to take it out of the car again to redo.

The astro vents are the round chrome louvered vents at the lower left and right of the dash. Each has a small diameter hole beside it for the open/close shaqft/knob. the knob is no longer used after VA is installed. (sorry no photos)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 10:09 PM
Tech Team
Tad

I have a VA system in my 68. I had it on the other day and noticed water on passenger side floor. It turns out when it was installed the drain tube was not put on. Any sugestions on how to get drain tube to outside of the car. Im not very excited about cutting a hole in the floor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech

why not? I just drilled the hole, if I wanted to remove it (and I won't!) I could just have it repaired fairly easily... its only metal!

and to the op... I still haven't found or looked for them, but I would think there has to be some black plastic or rubber hole plugs that would sit flush and not stick out/look weird somewhere. I'll dig a little on this. I guess I just got used to it being like that, but I still have a much larger hole where the factory radio came out but wasn't replaced!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Frahm View Post
I have a VA system in my 68. I had it on the other day and noticed water on passenger side floor. It turns out when it was installed the drain tube was not put on. Any sugestions on how to get drain tube to outside of the car. Im not very excited about cutting a hole in the floor.
Well it's either cut a hole in the floor, run a garden hose up and out your side window or have water on the floor. But by VA's instructions that is what needs to be done. If you do a search on a thread that I started " my 69 camaro before, during and after" and if you look at the post #18. Click on the pic of my engine block. It's not the clearest pic, but if you look to left of the header you can kind of see the drain tube. The hole is drilled in the / part of the firewall just below where the firewall goes vertical. You can put rope caulk around the tube to help seal around the tube. Problem solved and it would only take a few mins to gitter done. Others might have a better pic than mine. Once I get home I might have a better pic that I could post.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownnote View Post
why not? I just drilled the hole, if I wanted to remove it (and I won't!) I could just have it repaired fairly easily... its only metal!

and to the op... I still haven't found or looked for them, but I would think there has to be some black plastic or rubber hole plugs that would sit flush and not stick out/look weird somewhere. I'll dig a little on this. I guess I just got used to it being like that, but I still have a much larger hole where the factory radio came out but wasn't replaced!
try looking at your local hardware store. They might have some flat looking plugs of some sort. Also some of the vendors have radio delete plates. Or you could fab a metal plate and paint it to match your interior.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

My '68 VA Gen 4 drain hole & pipe goes through the firewall (in the area where the old heater hoses were). A piece of tubing was bent and attached, so it comes out of the firewall, bends down 90 deg., and releases liquid onto the fround between the frame and exhaust pipe.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Try Lowes in the loose hardware section, you should be able to find a small paintable "trim" plug that would fit.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 02:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Well I didn't use VA, I used a 67 caprice a/c, I welded the the knob holes, if I did it again
I would leave the turn off knobs, they are ib a curved panel, you wont find a ready made plug. If you want a original looking a/c, put the big box out front, leave the knob, your wife gets cold she can turn it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode