Short or long water pump - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Short or long water pump

I need to get a water pump, fan, shroud, and radiator for my 67'. It had a 400 small block in it that I am rebuilding to install in it. I don't have the fan, radiator, or shroud that was in the car. The water pump that was on the engine is a long pump.

I want to buy a new water pump and am trying to decide if I should buy a short or long pump. I know the car originally cam with a short pump. But all my brackets and pulleys are for a long pump. Can I use a long pump? If I do will I have fitment issues with the fan, radiator, or shroud?

Should I use a long pump or buy a short pump and replace the pulleys and brackets?

Also, I want to use good thick radiator. I don't know if that will affect the decision.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: Short or long water pump

I run the long pump on my '67 w/AC and everything fits just like it does on a '69.

The only odd part is you have to adapt your wiring harness for the passenger side location of the alternator. So the only real concern is electrical.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

I run a long pump on my 89 block in a 68. No issues with a 4 core radiator. I'm running March pulleys and a Derale flex fan.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If the decision was made to make, I would run the long brackets already with a long water pump and rewire as suggested. You will need to get a fan set-up and shroud for a '69 to make it efficient.

Radiator is your choice or others' suggestions as 1st gen's are pretty much the same.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 01:52 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Go long...better avalibility, you're already set-up for it, and it will work just fine.

I had the same set-up and just went electric fans this past winter.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks guys. Sounds like the long pump is the way to go. Any advice on which pump? I have heard that you should use a high flow pump with a 400. Is that correct?

Doug, I have thought about going with electric fans. What do a good radiator, fans, and shroud cost? Is it much more that a mechanical setup? I like the idea of not robbing as much horsepower to run the fan during runs at the track.

Does your electric fan set up run as cool as the mechanical? My car will see a fair amount of street driving. Will the electric fan set up work well on the street?

Matt

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 05:11 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Good fans and radiator.... depends on who you listen to. I went the "less expensive" route.
As for better cooling ??? its about the same but I can cool down faster at the track without motor running along with less HP being robbed.
Works fine on the street .
I also upgraded my electrical system.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

If you stay with mechanical cooling, you won't have any cooling problems as the factory system is overbuilt and you won't have to do anything to your current electrical system (other than run the alt wires to the other side of the engine).

With electrical cooling you'll most likely have problems if you don't get the fans and shrouds right and you most likely will have to upgrade your alternator and wiring for the high amp draw from the fans (you'll most likely need two fans).

Do a search on this forum for electric fan cooling problems and decide for yourself. Most of the hits begin with, "I just upgraded my cooling system to electric fans and now my car doesn't cool properly".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode