Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 11, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Heater hose help with tall vanlve covers

I just had to replace the heater cor ein my '67 (not fun).

As you cans see in the photo below, I have a problem (was the same way with the core I just replaced)--The upper hose sits right up against the valve cover, to a point where I am concerned that coolant flow is being restricted.

I have new valve covers (GM performance parts slant covers) that I want to use, bu they make the problem worse when test-fitting.

Is there any way around this issue, or a hose fitting that I can utilize to make this work without restricting flow?

Does anyone else have tall valve covers and is having/fixed this issue?

Thanks!

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 11, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Heater hose help with tall vanlve covers

That heater core looks like it doesn't have the correct bends in the outlet tubes. With that hose hitting the VC I'd think eventually it will crack the tube to core solder joint.

I know this advice is late - but I'd do the swap to a BB style heater core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 11, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

what's entailed in the BB swap?

I just got it back from the body shop 2 days ago, completely redone exterior and paint, so I am not keen on removing the fender to put a new box under the hood...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 11, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It's pretty easy. You don't need to remove the fender or the underhood box. You need a BB heater core and the tube flange plate (Rick's p/n hc-12). Use the flange plate as a template for the new holes. I wish I'da done it a few years back but I wasn't thinking.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

How do I know where to drill the holes (to make sure I get them in the correct place)?

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 06:12 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Keith, why are you running Tall valve covers?? What rockers are you using?? If you switch to Comp Cams magnum roller rocker arms they fit under the stock valve cover. Just a thought.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Here is how I made mine work using house couplers. BBC heater core is the correct way of fixing it for sure. As mentioned already looks like the tube bends are not correct or someone cutoff the end of the tubes that were bent correctly at one point in time.

Matt

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 16th, 11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Bottom bends toward the passenger fender, but the top is "straight" through...I believe that is correct. I'll have to look into the BB core to fix the problem... I may try a 90 dgree hose first, though...mabe cut the upper tube a little bit shorter to clear the cover...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 17th, 11, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Here is how I made mine work using house couplers. BBC heater core is the correct way of fixing it for sure. As mentioned already looks like the tube bends are not correct or someone cutoff the end of the tubes that were bent correctly at one point in time.

Do you know what part number/where you got that heater core in your car...none that I have found have that bend in the top pipe?

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 17th, 11, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Sorry, no part #, 99% sure that core is original. Mine was a 6 cyl car, perhaps that makes a difference.

Matt

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old May 17th, 11, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Greetings from Arizona
On my 67 Elcamino with tall valve covers on 327 motor, I bought Dayco heater hoses with 90 degree end already molded in hose, I cut 90 degree end as short as needed and used other hose with 90 on engine side so I have no splices in hose at all. don't know if this shows on on my photobucket or not. Jay

PS: On Photobucket 1st page, pictures #9 and #11 are engine pictures of MS ELLIE and you can see heater hose to engine connection. also check out my vacumn, wiring and pcv hoses. All done with metal brake lines and small hoses j

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible

Last edited by JAYARTER; May 17th, 11 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added PS:
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Jay--I checked out your photos--the issue I am having is at the firewall, where the hose connects to the heater core, not at the engine side.
I picked up a 90 degree bend last night, but I suspect that it is not going to be sufficient at the firewall

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, no part #, 99% sure that core is original. Mine was a 6 cyl car, perhaps that makes a difference.
Mine, too was a 6 cylinder in its early life! The heater core has been replced (this was now the second time in its life), but each time the core has matched the previous one installed...

I wonder if there is a core for another vehicle that will fit with the bends that I need?

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I wonder of my tube was simply rebent just to make it work/fit....? I'll look through some other pics to see if I have a shot of the tubes with no hoses on them.

Matt

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old May 18th, 11, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
I wonder of my tube was simply rebent just to make it work/fit....? I'll look through some other pics to see if I have a shot of the tubes with no hoses on them.
Thanks...I assume this is why my car often runs hot (not overheats), just hot...maybe some restricted coolant flow...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode