Heater core install how to - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Heater core install how to

I have a 1969 Camaro non/ac car. This winter I pulled my motor and must have hit one of the heater core tubes that stick out thru the firewall. Question is, how do you get to the bolts. I know that you have to go thru the inside passenger compartment. Do I remove the inner glove box and get to it that way. I hope I do not have to remove the fender as it has new paint and everything is lined up. I do not drive it in cold weather, but need to replace it. Please let me know, so I can drive this car, it has a new motor that I started up the other day and need to get this done first. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Heater core install how to

You don't have to remove the fender. Remove the 5 nuts on the firewall side and remove the inside heater box. The core installs from the inside. There are many posts on this if you do a search. Not a hard job but time consuming.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Not hard, but time consuming as Steve suggests. I have instructions here somewhere.
You can remove the glovebox by simply unscrewing the door and side screws then collapse the box and pull out.
Unplug the resistor block connector, lay down a sheet of plastic from trans hump to ove the rocker panel to catch any coolant remaining.
You can pull off the heater box without disconnecting anything else and work on it on the pass floorboard.
Depending upon damage, you can repair the old core, good idea, or take yours along to the local NAPA store and get a replacement core. It might be a little thinner, buy you can make spacers to fill the gap, depends upon manf. AC/Delco replacement would be the route to go.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Al

You can also remove the heater hose fittings from the water pump and from the intake manif and install pipe plugs there. Then you can drive your car and work on tuning the new motor and do the heater core at your liesure.

Since you need a heater core, I would suggest converting to the big block style unless originality is a concern. No need to remove fender the conversion.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Why convert to the big block heater core. I do not use the heater, but want it there, for myself. Do not know why, but if it is there, then put a new one in. I hate crap that leaks. I already took one heater hose off and rerouted it back to the water pump. So that I can at least start it. Still have issues keeping it running, carb issues. Thanks, Jerod
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Converting to a BBC core makes the job easier of changing hoses with replacement time comes.
Plus, it gets the tubes out of harm's way being behind the cylinder head and for engine removal/replacement.

What carb issues are you having?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

And just be very careful when applying any pressure to the new unit in the install! Those little flow tubes can be so fragile, eh?

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

I just had an issue where my tall valve covers smewhat restrict the flow to the heater core on my '67. I ended up taking my core to a local radiator shop, and for $40 they bent the upper tube, so it doe snot come straight out any more.

After doing this, I learned that the small block core tfor the '68 actually comes with the upper tube bent...that bend is sufficient that there are not clearance issues, and I did not have to convert to a BB core...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 11, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Lorne

To conver to BB heater core, do u buy aftermarket housing or modify existing? Is it reasonable to do without fender removal? Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 15, 05:18 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcar View Post
You don't have to remove the fender. Remove the 5 nuts on the firewall side and remove the inside heater box. The core installs from the inside. There are many posts on this if you do a search. Not a hard job but time consuming.
How do you get the the nuts in the fender. There is a blower motor there and I cant even see if there is nuts in there?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 15, 07:26 AM
Tech Team
Lou

old post

Last edited by lpar1969; Jan 22nd, 15 at 07:37 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 15, 07:29 AM
Tech Team
Lou

old post sorry
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 15, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

If the car has a passenger kick panel, take it off, and you will have access to the nuts. Someone else can put a wrench on the 2 blower motor bolts. Might have to take a few bolts out of fenderwell to bring fender well down a bit in order to get your hand up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode