Nippondenso 10pa20c - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Nippondenso 10pa20c

Has anyone used the Nippondenso 10pa20c direct replacement for the A6 compressor? There is a direct A6 replacement available from Nostalgic air Parts. There is also the Saden 508 based replacement available from Old Air Products. I am looking for a comparison of the two, if anyone has experience, please post.
Additionally, has anyone replaced their OEM condenser with newer style cross flow or parallel flow condenser. Did you notice any improvement?

68 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: Nippondenso 10pa20c

I had a stock '67 AC setup and converted to R134.

I switched to the Sanden compressor because it doesn't explode at 6,000 RPM or take as much HP to turn. Don't know about the Nippondenso compressor, but I'm real happy with the tiny Sanden.

Along with the R134 conversion, I switched to the parallel condenser which is supposed to do a better job than the old condenser. All I know is its pretty hot in the summer in FL and the AC works great.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Thanks for the input Mahunt. I see we are in the same part of Florida, and it has sure been hot here lately. The info about the Sanden 508 internals in the Old Air Products A6 replacement is out of date. I found it in an earlier post on this form, but the tech I got in touch with today said they are using a "10 pack Nippondendo." He did not know what the displacement was, so I can't be sure if it is the larger 10pa20c. So I have ordered a 207cc Nippondenso 10pa20c from Nostalgic Air in Tampa. I have all the performance specs on the original A6, so I will determine the new ones for this compressor and post once I have it done.

68 convertible

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I got help for my conversion in Tampa at http://www.classicautoair.com/ by the airport. My 2 favorite parts of the conversion was CCA turning the screw in the POA to allow for R134a (1 minute while I watched) and them custom cutting and crimping the two big AC top hoses.

CCA sells the parallel condenser as a kit specifically for the '67 Camaro. Great people.

Ask them about your Nippondenso, they'll probably have an opinion.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I decided to purchase the Cool Pro S6 Compressor from Nostalgic Auto Air. this is the Niiondenso 10pa20c. It has a larger displacement than the Sanden508. Installation has been a bit of a head ache. It is not a "direct replacement" for first gen Camaros. The issue is that the front flange on the compressor is a lot thicker than the A6. This will work fine if the compressor mounts to the bracket using the rear of the flange, however the first gen Camaro uses the back of the flange. The way around this is to either machine (or grind) the rear of the the compressor flange to make it thinner and mount it as the original, or to use 7/16 spacers between the bracket that mounts to the compressor and the bracket that mounts to the water pump. If using the spacers, the compressor will then mount to the rear of the bracket. I am using the spacers because I felt that machining the flange would make it too thin and risk cracking it. I will post again once completed and let all know how well it works.

68 convertible
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Installation is complete. The new compressor is a lot quieter than the A6 and does appear to take less HP. In addition to using spacers in the mounting brackets as described above, I had to adust the compressor manifold bracket to mount it to the front of the compressor for stability. The system cools well, no change from the A6. I do think I will install a new cross flow condensor, the old design is not as efficient with the 134a.

68 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode