Will 210 degrees blow head gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Will 210 degrees blow head gasket?

I took my 69 to work today in sunny hot as hell ca...runnin down the fwy I noticed the temp gauge goin up higher than usual (I know I need a shroud) it leveled around 210 degrees...can this range the gaskets? Is it way to hot? What can happen at that temp or is that a normal high temp?.. Any info needed..I mOst likely will have to take it tomorrow... Thanks yall

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Will 210 degrees blow head gasket?

210* is my personal comfort trigger. Up to and including 210* I don't get too concerned. You can go higher than that, but not motor should see that unless there is a problem.

I wouldn't worry about having done any damage. But if you car spends a lot of time at 210* or goes higher I'd investigate better cooling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TCI Engineering equiped pro touring 1968 Camaro
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

That is within the normal operating range. Many years ago I tossed a belt on my car and before I realized it, it hit 260. I was very concerned I damaged something but It was fine. I ran that motor for 7 years after that.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

210 is fine - with antifreeze in it you didn't even get close to boiling over - I wouldn't want it running there all the time though, like was said - that would make me think there's a cooling system problem. It should stay pretty close to your thermostat temperature on a good cooling system.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
george

210* is a non issue...gasket wise.May bring on some detonation issues if you load the engine...depending on the combo and the tune up.You can do better(with a shroud)..but I would not loose any sleep over it.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u damage the engine anything under 235 degs...its not the heat its the engineering assemble and deserves to die...
The stock idiot light sensor is 235 degs...
Keep in mind that stock engines are not tuned to the 'limits' so keep fatblocks post above in mind...running hot dont be too ready to jump on the throttle or load up ....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I wouldn't start worrying about it under over 230-240 and then really only if you had aluminum heads.

Ed

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

I agree, 210 isn't a big deal. Running that hot down the freeway means you have an efficiency prolbem, not a shroud issue.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 11, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

thanks guys....I drove home after dark and it stayed around 180....I guess it was just the mid day heat.....

Vegas69....efficiency problem?.....clarify for me please...what can I check to get back to efficient?...

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

I just meant your high speed cooling is suspect. A car should cool well at freeway speeds due to natural air flow.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

OE thermostat temp for opening is 195F, check Owner's Manual, and fully open, generally, 205F. Cooling system is only designed for a min 20F differential temperature between radiator inlet and radiator outlet.

As long as it doesn't puke, er, boilover, you're fine. This is the advice given to me by three GM dealers.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Running that hot down the freeway means you have an efficiency prolbem, not a shroud issue.
Yep
Quote:
I guess it was just the mid day heat.....
And that substantuates the quote above
Our old 1gen cooling sytems are way over built...they will not run anymore than 3 deg over the thermostat rating, no matter air temp, timing, towing up a mountain untill one hits the rarified altude air..snow line.
If the get hot idle /low speed
shround, thermostat, blocked cores, water pump spun the impeller
If run hot over 50 mph
Thermostat, bottom hose renefocing corroded, blocked cores, spun whater pump impeller.

Thermostat, blocked cores and lower hose most common
Water pumps start leaking before impleelers slip generally...have only seen 1 go loose on a rebuilt pump yrs ago...touch with a mig welder fixes that.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

210* is nothing at all. On a hot day 90*+ my car runs down the highway at 210-215. I have see it as high as 230* this is with aluminum heads and still no issues and has never boiled over.

With that said my radiator is too small for my application, but I don't have any room.

In your situation it sounds like a radiator that is not adequate or a water flow problem. This is assuming you have nothing blocking your radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Our old 1gen cooling sytems are way over built...they will not run anymore than 3 deg over the thermostat rating, no matter air temp, timing, towing up a mountain untill one hits the rarified altude air..snow line.

Not exactly true. Way too many variables. If you are talking completely stock with everything working as it should. I agree.

Add some HP to the mix and the stock cooling system can get taxed. We haven't even talked about A/F mixtures or timing.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Well it's a mild 383...i have no overflow tAnk and after I had parked it after getting to my destination, I noticed water had been co
Ming out of the tube that drains to overfow... Is that boil over?? And does that matter much?

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 11, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If the overflow is puking with conviction and the rad cap is in good repair, meaning gasket is good and spring is solid, yes, it is overheating.

However, normal operation is some mild overflow because generally, the cold coolant level is about two inches below the cap, for expansion. Once this two inch level is obtained, the system generally does not overflow, unless an usually hot ambient temperature and the engine has just been shut off right after a freeway run without a couple minutes of idle cooldown, then maybe a few tablespoons.

A good check of coolant sytem pressure being maintained, with a rag in hand, squeeze the upper rad hose. It should be tight - solid to the squeeze. If not, replace rad cap with a good min 16 lb cap. The higher pressure increases the coolant boiling point, 3F for every pound of pressure, ie, with 16 lb cap, boiling point goes from 212F to 260F.

Of course, an easy fix would be to add an overflow tank and keep tabs of the coolant level in the tank to monitor coolant being used, or not. Then the radiator can be filled to the brim with coolant and go from there as a reference point.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode