BBC 4 Core Radiator Mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Question BBC 4 Core Radiator Mounting

Got a question about how the radiator is mounted. My 67 car has an NOS radiator support with a repop 4 core radiator. When I put the radiator in using the factory holes on the right side, the right side tank sits on top of the rounded edge of the support opening. This causes a large gap when trying to pull that side up tight to the support. I have the AIM and I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct bolt holes on the support.
I don't think I can move it any closer to the fender because of the battery tray.
Is this the way it is supposed to be? If I'm doing something wrong, please give me some advice.

TIA

67 3L 4P Project Car

I just had to have some wings.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS/SS Pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: BBC 4 Core Radiator Mounting

The right side mounting is pretty constant on a factory mounting. Its the left side that you have two mounting positions due to the use of sbc or bbc length radiators.

For a long period , I used the 23"bbc style radiator and it pretty much took up all open spaces on the left side. Right side was as you say, tank was close to then battery tray.

For the sake of body panel movements within the frame, be sure to use the rubber insulated well nuts on the left side.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Yes....it is real tight on the right side....there is no room to move anything. I will try to get some pics over the weekend.

Thanks

67 3L 4P Project Car

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 08:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Will your radiator fit the opening using just the left side mounts?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Ok....took some pictures yesterday.

In picture 1 you can see that I have the bottom bolt through the radiator flange and into them correct hole in the radiator support. The hole in the radiator is slotted and I have pushed the radiator as far as the slot will let me to the right. Also in the picture you can see that the battery tray is against the side of the radiator, so the radiator can't move any further to the right.

In picture 2 this is a top view looking down and you can see that the flange for the radiator tank is not moved far enough to the right to clear the rad suppot opening. This causes the radiator to stick way out at the top.

In picture 3...this is the bolting on the left side. The top open hole is the correct hole to be used with the rubber insolating bolts. I can't move the radiator to the right to get these bolts in....so I stuck a bolt in one of the other bolt holes just to hold it on.

I'm at a total lose as to where to start trying to move things to make this work and look corrrect. I really don't want to start jury rigging things now.

If anyone has had this problem and can offer some advice...I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	23500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	23502  

67 3L 4P Project Car

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
mark

In picture 2 my radiator has about .09 clearance . Your tank brackets are located wrong you need to send it back or have them moved . Original brackets are formed to fit the tank not flat .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

2x
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Thanks guys!
Sending it back is not an option....I bought it up at Carlisle about 3 years ago....its been sitting in a box all this time.
I wonder if I could find some OEM type brackets and have a radiator shop here in town change them out? If so....anyone got any idea where I could find them?

Thanks

67 3L 4P Project Car

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
mark

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-r...1967-1969.html I don't know if this will fit your tanks , you will have to ask . Or you might have a local shop move them .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Thanks Mark!
Boy...they must be pretty proud of those brackets! $$$$

I'm not sure what you mean by having a shop move the existing brackets....I don't think there is anywhere to go with them?

67 3L 4P Project Car

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
mark

They are soldered on can they be removed from the tanks and moved forward ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Mark!
Ok...I got you now. I will have to go to the garage this afternoon and see if there is any room between the mounting bracket and the tank.....if so....just have a shop move the bracket against the tank and it might just work.
I did see that HBC has the replacement brackets for $119. a little cheaper

67 3L 4P Project Car

67 RS/SS Pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode