Vintage Air freezes up? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Vintage Air freezes up?

My Vintage Air Gen IV surefit system is very cold in town and on the highway until I drive about 40 miles, then it starts to warm up. I put a thermometer in the center vent and it runs at 40 degrees for the first 40 miles or so, then it climbs up to 55* for a while then goes up to 70*, then back down to 55*. It continues to do this until I shut it off for a while, then everything is cool for a few more miles.
I have had a couple of guys check it and one said it had too much freon so he took half a pound out, it was different but not really any better, another guy said the first guy took too much out so he put half of that much back in. It seems a little better but still does it.
Vintage Air didnt really have any answers for me when I called them.
I printed the troubleshooting guide from the VA website, my pressures are exactly where they are supposed to be.
Anyone have any ideas?
Ron

70 Chevelle SS396 (427), M21
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: Vintage Air freezes up?

Sounds like a bad compressor. My Trans Am did the same thing. Replaced the compressor, worked fine after that for several years...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
John

Ron, your post states "Vintage air freezes up". But you dont mention that in the body of the message. If the system is freezing up then perhaps you might have a blockage. Not enough air is going across the evap coil. That will cause the coil to freeze. I'm not familiar with vintage air system.. Does it have a thermostat? If the compressor is not cycling off and stays on constantly...then that could cause the freeze up as well.

Without looking at your system...i suspect blockage or t-stat not cycling compressor off. If pressures are within specs then check the things i mentioned.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Ron, your post states "Vintage air freezes up". But you dont mention that in the body of the message. If the system is freezing up then perhaps you might have a blockage. Not enough air is going across the evap coil. That will cause the coil to freeze. I'm not familiar with vintage air system.. Does it have a thermostat? If the compressor is not cycling off and stays on constantly...then that could cause the freeze up as well.

Without looking at your system...i suspect blockage or t-stat not cycling compressor off. If pressures are within specs then check the things i mentioned.
Hey John, thanks. The compressor does cycle on and off. I dont know about the system having a thermostat. The system was installed this January by Prodigy Customs and has done this ever since I started using it after it got warm here in TN.
Mondy I am going to call Frank at Prodigy.

95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
bill

give frank a call. as i recall the vintage air in 4 cars that I installed isnt a stock sytem and has an adjustable regulator under dash. only people experienced in the system should service it. when he installed it in jan. well different temp and humidity right now.it might need to be adjusted. he stands by his work that I know of, why take to another person not familiar with this system that was installed on your car.give frank a call or e-mail on it he will help you out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
give frank a call. as i recall the vintage air in 4 cars that I installed isnt a stock sytem and has an adjustable regulator under dash. only people experienced in the system should service it. when he installed it in jan. well different temp and humidity right now.it might need to be adjusted. he stands by his work that I know of, why take to another person not familiar with this system that was installed on your car.give frank a call or e-mail on it he will help you out.
The reason I had other guys work on it is Frank is in Florida, I'm in Tennessee.
I'll call him on Monday.
Thanks.
Ron

95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
John

Well, if the compressor does cycle on and off then perhaps its done by a t-stat. Or a low pressure switch. I'm not familiar at all with the VA systems, if it does have some sort of adjustable regulator then I would look at that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Probably moisture in the system, and likely was not evacuated correctly from the beginning.
There is a very strict and detailed instruction on how much gas to charge, (28.8oz or 1.8 lbs) and there really is no excuse for not following that direction initially.

Not 2.8 lbs, not 1 lb, 1.8 lbs.
I would suggest a qualified ac tech, purge for 45 min and then recharge.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
The reason I had other guys work on it is Frank is in Florida, I'm in Tennessee.
I'll call him on Monday.
Thanks.
Ron
Ron, did you find anything out? Did you talk to Frank? I'm very interested in what is causing your problems.

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode