Do I have a overheating problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

Do I have a overheating problem?

I had my 396 out today in 100 degree heat. I drove 15 miles on the hiway. Then stopped at the mech to use his infared temp gun. With factory console temp gauge on 3/4 to red line. The temp gun said 215 when pointing at the thermostat housing. After lating her idle with vintage air on coolant started to drip out of overflow hose. when I shut it off i would say 20 oz came out of over flow. On the way home with ac on (which isn't very cool and the clutch kicks on and off nearly every three to four seconds) the temp gauge showed just a little past 1/2.
Can I go by the temp gun readings ? Are those guns acurate?
I would like to add another temp gauage. Has anyone ran two temp gauges? If so where do you put the other temp sender.

Could my current temp sender be the issue? Does anyone have the part number to the correct one?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 06:04 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: Do I have a overheating problem?

Sounds like you need freon if the compressor is kicking off and on. Anyway 215 for a Big Block is not exactly running hot. These cars do not have overflow tanks. If you filled up the radiator too much, it will spew out like that when you shut it down.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 11, 01:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

I think you need to tell us a bit more information. 396 in what car? Stock engine? You didn't say and there is nothing in your information. Do you have an original big block radiator? Aluminum aftermarket radiator? Are you running a shroud? What thermostat?

Big blocks tend to run a bit hotter, especially when it is close to 100 degrees. But I have never had mine push anything out the overflow.

AC system probably does need freon. That is mostly likely why the ac is "not very cool".

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bcm66; Jul 20th, 11 at 01:14 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 11, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, BBC's run hotter, especially with A/C on.
Need more freon. Adding more freon will increase condensor pressure and temperature of air pulled across condensor. Seven blade fan and fan clutch? Place a box fan in front of car when adding freon.
Yes, coolant will come out the overflow. Might add a reservior to catch the coolant and allow it to be sucked back in after it cools.
Might need to add a 18-22 lb cap to prevent boiling.
Check Owner's Manual, it reads a 195F thermostat is used.
You can run a second gauge in the other cyl head.
You might isolate the grille and valance with homemade panles to prevent recirculation of heated air across the condensor/radiator. The foam gaskets are installed as the factory did on the rad support and in between the fenders behind the headlamp buckets?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 11, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Even with a BB the stock cooling sysyem is way over built..For normal cruising ands the cores ok, shroud, clutch fan, radiator cap good, bottom hose sprinfg ok....the engine will never get anymore than a few degrees over the rating of the thermostat.
If bit lean or over advanced the system is so effevient again it will not show.
But if leans way out, say tuned for sea level and head up into the snow line it will get up around 210...which is fine..just gets sluggish.
Since it gets over warm at cruise, assuming all else is ok, indicates some blocked cores or restriction thru the front because above about 35/40 mph the air flow thru exceeds anything the fans can put thru.
A crook thermostat or faulty cap, soft bottom hose will cause the same...easy stuff 1st.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 11, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

I put in a new aluminum radiator over the weekend. I have driven it during the hottestest part of the day, just a little tonight say 75- 80 degrees. I left it idle with ac on. After a few minutes it did get into the red. I checked my thermostat in a pan of water it started to open at 180 degrees. I do have water in now since the radiator change. But don't think that is a big deal.
Could i have the incorrect sender for the temp gauage?
If it truely is getting hot at idle or slows speeds. What needs to be checked as far as timing, air fuel mixture and vacum advance? These are all things I know nothing about.
Thanks
Tad
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 11, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Could i have the incorrect sender for the temp gauage?
Or just dont know where the needle is in relation to temp on the gauge
Check along the same lines as u did with the termostat....electic jug, hang the sensor in the jug and a clamp on the body of the sensor for a ground to the car body...a thermoeter also in the jug.

Quote:
What needs to be checked as far as timing, air fuel mixture and vacum advance?
With a stock factory set up these will not effect your temps to any great degree thu tuning at sea level and then heading above snow line will.
All that above is covered in great detail in many posts over and over....use the seach function above and start reading to understand what these are and how they work.

u so have the shroud, the fan set about 1/2 in the shroud?
NEED a shroud.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 11, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

Yes I have a shroud. In order to check my temp sender it needs to be grounded ? Is that correct? I can't unscrew it and place in hot water ?

I also hear people talk about speeding up the water pump with a 5.25 0r 5.75 what ever it is water pump pulley. What are your thoughts on this?

I did find a vac advance can as suggested on this forum, the one that is all in at 8. Im not sure how to install. Can you tell me how to install or is it worth it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You can check the sending unit by dunking it into a pan of water and measure the resistance between the stud/spade and the body - higher temperature, less ohms.
I believe for the gauge to indicate straight up 210F, the s/unit should be around 180-200 ohms across it.

You can measure the resistance of the s/unit with it in the engine by doing the same, disconnect the wire and measure. Also, measure the body to engine block ensuring a good path.

Having a smaller w/pump pulley than the crankshaft pulley will speed up the fan/w/pump.
Or vice versa, get a larger crankshaft pulley than the w/pump pulley and have the w/pump spin faster. Either way is good - smaller w/pump pulley or larger crankshaft pulley. You'll need a different belt either route you chose.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tad

Where do I find a smaller water pump pulley?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Any aftermarket supplier or simuliar model in the salvage yard, garage sales, swap meets.
It may be easier to find a larger crankshaft pulley.
A start:
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-h...1969-1975.html

'
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 03:17 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

What fan are you using??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
In order to check my temp sender it needs to be grounded ? Is that correct? I can't unscrew it and place in hot water
As Evertts suggestion above , but that doesnt ID the position of temps on the gauge.
unscrew the sender...leave the 'power' lead on it....usae a wire..one end connected to the -ve battery or a good ground on the car and the other clamped to the sender body around the threads....keep the 'power end out of the water in thejug
Hang a thermoeter in the water...
Now turn the jug on...
When thermoter reaches the 1st mark on the temp gauge in the car ..note the temp in the jug, then the next mark and next mark etc.

I dont think yout issue is the rate of water thru the rasitor...pumed by the water pump...stock speed the water goes thru the raditator so fasty it doesnt cool well, which is why one has the restriuction of the thermostat in the engine...slow it down
If u want to try the effect of higher flow, just remove the thermostat and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode