New radiator and mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kraig

New radiator and mounting

I posted earlier about some overheating issues and I think I have put that to bed. I decided to go with a new radiator from alumitech but upgraded to the larger radiator. I had the SB with trans cooler w/out AC. I jumped up 2 inches in length and bought the SB with trans cooler w/AC aka BB rad. It fits fine but with the 2 extra inches of length it mounts to different holes in the radiator support.

Here's the question....on the drivers side where the radiator mounts up to the radiator support, it mounts with 2 bolts. These bolts screw into 2 bushings with internal threads. They need to be moved from the 21" mounting holes to the 23" mounting holes. How do I remove them and move them over. I don't want to just start muscling them out and tear them up and end up having to buy new ones. It almost appears that the bushings can separate into two halves? Let me know if you have ever moved them or replaced them yourself. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: New radiator and mounting

Buy new ones old ones probably aren't coming out in one piece . They swell up on the inside . https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...282392296&An=0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kraig

Thats easy enough. Especially if I can run down to the local parts store. Sorry for the stupid question but thanks for the smart reply.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by klow View Post
I posted earlier about some overheating issues and I think I have put that to bed. I decided to go with a new radiator from alumitech but upgraded to the larger radiator.
Alumitech is an excellent choice! Who ever suggested that is brilliant!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kraig

I went back to that previous post and......Steve, thank you. I didn't realize you even told me to go with the bigger radiator. I knew someone had mentioned Alumitech but didn't realize you had gone the bigger radiator route. Knowing that now, did you just bolt it right up? Or did you cut the radiator support to open up the opening to allow more air into the radiator? Do you have any pictures of that area/setup? Thanks again Steve.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Kraig, I let the restoration shop install it, they did not cut the core support - you don't need to do that. The orginal core support is no different between BBC and SBC which is why you have the 2 sets of holes on the DS for mounting. They have it till mid next week or I would gladly take some pictures for you. I can when I get it back but am guessing you will have it fixed by then. For a fan shroud I ordered NOS shroud from GM Parts Direct for a 68 AC camaro using the part number from CRG. It's wider than the original on the 60 camaro to fully cover the radiator and mount on the shroud tab Alumitech installed. You WILL NOT have any cooling problems with that thing in there!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 11, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kraig

Great!! I'm getting stoked that I will finally be able to drive the ol girl around again. I've missed it all summer long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode