68 AC needs freon - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

68 AC needs freon

My 68 factory AC doesn't seem as cold as it used to be. I have a few cans of R12 that came with the car but it's been a long time since I've charged a system.

I've looked on eBay and they sell the can tap and hose for $10.

I also know I need to figure out which is the low and high pressure.

So my question: can someone tell me which is the factory low connection and do I need a gauge or can do I just hook up the can run the AC? How do I know when it's done?

Sorry for the basic questions. It's been a long time.

Thanks!
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 68 AC needs freon

If you have the Chevrolet Service Manual for your car it shows a lot of drawings & photos concerning your ac system.

The low port is located on your POA valve & should have a metal dust cap screwed down on it, kind of like a dust cap on a tire.

The POA valve is sitting almost on top of the fiberglass evaporator "suitcase," sandwiched between the case & the blower motor. It has a pipe coming out the front & back.

The high side port is located on the compressor muffler. It should also have a cap screwed down on it.

I can't answer your other questions about charging the system because I'm too new at this myself.

Also, if you can get a Camaro Assembly Manual, it has great exploded views of your ac.

I'm sure other (more knowledgeable) guys will chime in soon.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Thanks. I'll check the manual in the morning.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Greetings from Arizona
your 68 may have two different sizes of charging ports, the smaller one is the High side and not to be charged with. Your local parts store may have a can tap and hose unit for sale. Once you ID low side, you can charge thru low side, I'd do 1 can only, don't think there is sight glass on receiver dryer to see if it clears up, other option is take to your local ac shop and have them recharge using your freon. Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 11, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech
John

ED, I agree with Jay. Run it by a shop to have them evaluate your system.

In most cases you really need to put a set of gauges on the A/C system to check the preformance. The problem might not be the freon charge at all. Any A/C tech will tell you that simply dumping in another can of refrigerent isn't a cure-all for mild performing systems. It is really easy to over charge these small systems if you aren't familiar with them. Then the bad stuff starts hapening... slugged compressors, split cores, blown seals, etc. R12 is too dammmed expensive to blow away!

Take it to a real automotive AC place. Not a fix-all repair facility. A couple bucks for experienced shop labor could just save you a bunch of money in the end!....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!

Last edited by Johnny B; Jul 29th, 11 at 11:19 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 11, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

For what it's worth..

Clean off the sight glass on your receiver/dryer, start your car and turn on the air.

If the sight glass shows bubbles or is cloudy, you most likely need freon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 11, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdoller View Post
My 68 factory AC doesn't seem as cold as it used to be. I have a few cans of R12 that came with the car but it's been a long time since I've charged a system.

I've looked on eBay and they sell the can tap and hose for $10.

I also know I need to figure out which is the low and high pressure.

So my question: can someone tell me which is the factory low connection and do I need a gauge or can do I just hook up the can run the AC? How do I know when it's done?

Sorry for the basic questions. It's been a long time.

Thanks!
Ed
If you don't have real knowledge and experience in the proper methods of automotive AC, please take a class or hire a professional.

Tossing in a can with a charge hose can give you a very wide range of results from, cold air for a while or could result in your family and friends calling you stumpy after you blow your hand off.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode