Recommendation for a good radiator, electric fan and shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Recommendation for a good radiator, electric fan and shroud

I need to get a cooling system for my 67. I don't have anything right now so I need to get a radiator, electric fans, fan shroud, can controller, and water pump. I have asked for recommendations in the past and have heard of some radiators people have had good luck with and some of the popular electric fans. But I have also read that the package has to be right for the system to work. Meaning the shroud must fit the fan and the radiator correctly to cool sufficiently.

So I am now asking if someone can recommend a complete system (radiator, fan(s), and shroud). I am running a manual transmission and hope to add AC in the future.

I know that a mechanical fan would work fine but I want to use electric fans if the cost is not substantially more.

I am not going for a stock look. My car will be driven on the road as well as at the drag strip so I want to get something that will cool a 500hp 400 small block on the street and on the track.

I would really appreciate any advice on a good complete setup.

Matt

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: Recommendation for a good radiator, electric fan and shroud

I have been having cooling issues for awhile now on my 69 Camaro. I purchased a radiator and fan from Alumitech. I got the bigblock alumi radiator and the single 16" Spal fan and the Spal digital fan controller. I had them weld in a bung fitting (at no extra cost) in the driver side radiator tank for the temp sensor of the controller. I live in the south and have Vintage A/C on the car and have had no cooling issues since. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend but the cheap routes I went just didn't keep it cool. I am happy with it now!
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.chevel...ng.com/46.html

69 SS Silver Camro, LS3 efi, 4L60e with 2800 stall, mini tubed 12bolt 3.73, Ridetech front suspension ladder bar rear.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If you read back thru older posts and by those who have been around 1sty gens for a very long time, the general consenis is stick with stock.
It is not neccaasry true that just because something is marked GM or happens to be 40 yrs old it is faulty design.....when it comes to the cooling system....GM nailed it 100% spot on and more 40 yrs ago...and decraded since then because of competitive cost.

Go stock, save the headaches.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Even if you don't care about the stock look - I think the stock set up for fan and shroud with an Alumitech 23 inch 67/68 Air conditioning radiator is hard to beat. You will want to get a shroud for the 67/68 AC Camaro to go with it, and the total will be less than you spend on an electric fan set up, even getting a NOS shroud from GM. Do a search and you will find more than one person who has this set up with no cooling problems at all well into the triple digit temperatures with healthy engines. The 450hp 400 SBC does fine with this set up never getting above 190 idling or cruising with upper 90's for the outside temp.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 05:07 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

X2 on the stock fan.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 05:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'm using a 93 Taurus 3.8l fan. Comes with shroud and fan. It's a 2speed fan but I only use the high side. It's not loud and pulls a ton of air. This fan will literally suck your hand to the front of the radiator. The only down fall is that the fan draws 35+\- amps. Requires 8 gauge wire and a continuous duty solenoid. I use the controller to turn on my solenoid. Fan is around $125 at napa and has a lifetime warranty. There is a guy on eBay that sells them used for $85
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

Been looking at the Black magic electric fan for mine.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

So I am now asking if someone can recommend a complete system .....

Don't forget to upgrade your wiring to handle the increased amp load and budget a new higher output alternator.

Other than that, pray it cools as well as a factory system for 2 maybe 3 times the money.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
The only down fall is that the fan draws 35+\- amps. Requires 8 gauge wire and a continuous duty solenoid.
Now think about that...the alternator has to produce the power to run, which gets/drags from the engine....is there really any advantage and having to upgrade wiring, fit sensors and stuff?
Quote:
So I am now asking if someone can recommend a complete system .....
Answered in many old posts and this one many times , and note who suggests ..stock factory...they guys who have been around a long time, worked on many projects, and have got past the marketing propaganda BS...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

I replaced my perfectly operating clutch fan system with a set of Windstar fans. Fit real good, only one of the fans turns on most of the time. Motor feels a little peppier around town too. I like the faster warm ups as well.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

A/C car with stock fan and shroud SB 400 Alumitech rad. 170 to 180 with 95 to 100 outside temps.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I like the faster warm ups as well.
Thats determined by the thermostat...not the radiator..the thermostat keeps thr hot water back in the engine.
Quote:
170 to 180 with 95 to 100 outside temps.
Ambiant temps mean squat to a cooling system that is in good condition (no blocked cores) A stock system will run an engine at 120 /125 deg in 95/ 100 deg ambiant temps.
And a sb Chev should have at least a 180 deg thermostat.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 11, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Ambiant temps mean squat to a cooling system that is in good condition (no blocked cores) A stock system will run an engine at 120 /125 deg in 95/ 100 deg ambiant temps.
Really? So 100 degree air cools as good as 50 degree air.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 11, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Thats determined by the thermostat...not the radiator..the thermostat keeps thr hot water back in the engine.
So if the water in the radiator is running hotter b/c a fan isnt pulling air through it, the engine wont reach its operating temp faster? In other words, the clutch fan's typical cold-start full engagement which cools the water being sent to the motor will not make a difference in how fast she'll warm-up?

I'm thinking warmer water (coolant) going to the engine will warm it up faster - just me.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 11, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

the hot water will only get to the radiator to be cooled there if/when the thermostat opens. The thermostat does determine warm up time assuming the block and coolant in the block is the same in your comparison at the start.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode