Big block or small block radiator - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Big block or small block radiator

I want to get a new radiator for my 67. I called Griffin and they asked me to measure my radiator to determine which one I needed. I don't have the radiator that came in the car. The car has no radiator to measure. So they told me to measure the distance between the radiator mounting holes. There are several holes in the core support. Can someone tell me how to determine which holes in the core support are for the radiator? I looked in the Classis Camaro catalog and they say their core support will work with either the big or small block radiator.

Will the stock core work for either radiator? Which one should I get?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Big block or small block radiator

The stock core will work for either radiator. Your car could have come with either a 21'' or 23'' radiator.Those dimensions refer to the core size.The 21'' was standard on small blocks and 6 bangers.The 23'' was available with the heavy duty cooling system which was usually included when you got A/C.The 23'' radiator was also standard for the bigblock. Just make sure you have the right shroud for your application.There are three different shroud available for your year.Small block (no A/C) - 21''. Small block with A/C - 23''. Big Block - 23''. I have a Griffin 23'' radiator in front of my small block.I chose the model with the 1 1/4'' cores.I have no cooling issue's with my car!They are pricey,but I assure you they are worth every penny.The quality and fit is out standing and it is 100% MADE IN TH USA.Good luck.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Matt I used b cool big block app with my small block. Also used there electric fan. never goes over 190 on a hot day.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 11, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
alex

HI MATT . I don,t know where you are in ma . but if my brain still is ok i think it should be 21or 23 inch core . i believe the 23 was for the 8 cyl H/D cooling. IF your any where near MEDFORD LEXINGTON give RODGER,S RADIATOR A CALL . That,s where i got my radiator and gas tank nice people good price. i have a 70 ss with a 3 tube ac job no problems with cooling at all but its not alum it,s a brass copper oem type MODINE and i bought them both abot 6 yrs ago. hope this helps. AL:EX
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Both sizes the guys gave you will work. You did not state what your app is, BB or SB? Or hp you will be running? Are you going to run stock fan/shroud set up? Or are you looking to go elec set up? My 69 had factory a/c but only had a 21" radiator. I am now currently running a BB radiator and dual elec fans (Entropy).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

I am using a 400 small block that should make around 500 Hp. I want to use an electric setup. I plan to put A/C in the car at a later date. I haven't yet chosen a radiator or electric fan setup.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 12:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

Instead of Griffith Radiators,I would recomment the Aluminum Flex a lite with electric fan and shroud attached. That is what I replaced the Factory Harrison 3 Row Radiator with in my 68 Camaro Coupe, I live in Las Vegas, NV where it get's very very HOT in the summer months. Also the Flex a lite has a thermostatic control, that you can set the electric fan to come on, and also will shut down by itself when it reachs the temp you have set. Solved my Heating problems here in Vegas, and especially when cruisin in bumper to bumper traffic on the World Famous Las Vegas Strip.........Contact Flex a lite. com customer service and they can tell you the Radiator(s) they recommend for your Camaro, they know which one it is, and do not ask for you to measure anything..........
Bye the way, I have the Harrison 3 Row Radiator in excellent condition along with the Factory Shroud For Sale............... Good Luck..........................
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

BB app on a SB Works great!

Last edited by JR67RS; Sep 13th, 11 at 04:24 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR67RS View Post
Works great!
That may work great for you application but will not for others. A fan pulls air most efficiently when the shroud extends all the way to the radiator's perimeter and is sealed properly. It is not doing so in your setup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 04:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Custom aluminum shroud on it's way
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR67RS View Post
Custom aluminum shroud on it's way
You deleted the picture of your shroudless setup. Out of curiosity, did you run the car on the street under various conditions etablishing your evaluation of great operation without it being fully set up?

A properly set up stock GM cooling system operates efficiently. Many start throwing aftermarket components at an issue without diagnosing their problem. Unless they want aftermarket parts for a particular look other than stock.

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Sep 13th, 11 at 04:38 PM. Reason: more
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Figured I would re post with shroud because it dose look unfinished . Funny when I posted it I thought I should get a shroud. Although in hot humid weather I was cruising the strip at about 5mph for a period of 15 min it did not creep over 190. During steady driving it never runs over 175. my builder told me the heads are good breathers and get rid of allot of heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode