Universal fan shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 11, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BARTELL

Universal fan shroud

Anyone use the universal fan shrouds from Spectre or other brand?
I have a 67 with long water pump, pass side alt, and 23" rad. Cant use 67 shroud because it is for short water pump. Cant use 69 shroud because it is only made for 21" rad. Im thinkin I should try the universal shroud before I go and return my 23" rad to D&R (if they will let me) and get the 21" then use the 69 shroud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 11, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Universal fan shroud

You can get a 23 inch shroud for an 68 AC camaro which is a 23 inch radiator - it will work with a stock configured radiator - the fan is just a bit deeper in the shroud. I run one on my 69 with a 23 inch Alumitech radiator for a 68 SBC.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 11, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BARTELL

But I have a long water pump and pass side alt, so I cant use 67 or 68 shroud. Too deep. Thinking about cutting by 67.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 11, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTELL67 View Post
But I have a long water pump and pass side alt, so I cant use 67 or 68 shroud. Too deep. Thinking about cutting by 67.
I don't think that's true - it works on a 69 - unless the core support is closer to the engine on a 68 than a 69, it should work fine. 69 has PS Alternator and a long pump and it works fine.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 11, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BARTELL

Its true. Mine is not working now. Have to cut it, or use 69 and leave 2 inches of rad uncovered.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 12:49 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Interesting - where does the incompatibility show up? Is there a clearance problem with the shroud and an accy / alternator or something? Are you using a stock fan and clutch?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I have a '67 SS/RS 350 coupe w/AC. I run a long water pump with the alternator on the passenger side. I also run the 23" wide radiator using the factory '69 AC shroud with a factory style seven bladed clutch fan.

There is no issue, get a '69 AC radiator shroud.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BARTELL

MAHUNT,
How did you attach the shroud at the bottom. It should be an inch 2 short on both sides so wont reach the bottom clips. What about 2 inches of the radiator not being covered?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 02:57 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

From a cooling standpoint - It won't hurt anything leaving the extra 2 inches uncovered on the DS which is where the added length is - but you aren't going to get the full benefit of the bigger radiator in traffic / stopped that you would if it was covered obviously as the fan won't pull through it. I would be concerned about it not having a mount in that lower corner though - it would move around and I would be worried about it contacting the fan, bending it and then disaster.

Can you post a picture of the problem area using the 68AC shroud on your car? I'm having a hard time imagining where it could be a problem when it works fine on my 69.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

[QUOTE=mahunt;1616818]I have a '67 SS/RS 350 coupe w/AC. I run a long water pump with the alternator on the passenger side. I also run the 23" wide radiator using the factory '69 AC shroud with a factory style seven bladed clutch fan.

There is no issue, get a '69 AC radiator shroud.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a source for this? I was unable to find a 69 with A/C listed in the brief search I made the other day.

Jeff
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

[quote=yellow69RS;1617115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
I have a '67 SS/RS 350 coupe w/AC. I run a long water pump with the alternator on the passenger side. I also run the 23" wide radiator using the factory '69 AC shroud with a factory style seven bladed clutch fan.

There is no issue, get a '69 AC radiator shroud.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a source for this? I was unable to find a 69 with A/C listed in the brief search I made the other day.

Jeff
69 SBC with or without AC is the same shroud because all the 69s SBC's had the same width radiator - only the big blocks were 23 inches wide.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

[quote=srode;1617248]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
69 SBC with or without AC is the same shroud because all the 69s SBC's had the same width radiator - only the big blocks were 23 inches wide.
Hopefully Mahunt will check in and tell us what he really has. I'm assuming a BB shroud won't work becuase the engine is installed offset 1".

Jeff
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Have you thought about trying a 67-69 Firebird shroud ? They are made for a 23" core and are made with the same center line as a small block.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 11, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I converted the '67 to the '69 LWP style cooling a while ago (back in the early '80s) as the car came sans engine and the only small block I had available was from a '72 Nova and I didn't have the brackets (or water pump) for the '67/68 style cooling. The Camaro did have AC with the wide radiator, so the only part I had to get was the shroud which came from a local junk yard. Since then, I've only updated the radiator using aluminum instead of original.

I don't know about attaching the shroud at the bottom of the radiator as the only attachment points are at the top and sides. The bottom of the shroud just butts against the bottom of the radiator (or real close).

I will take a look at the shroud to see if I can find any part numbering and let you know what I find. If it turns out that the shroud isn't for a '69 SB w/AC then it would have to be a '67/68 SB w/AC. Either way there are no cooling issues, as the fan blades are half covered by the shroud and the engine doesn't make 800HP (.30 over 350 with Holley SysteMax II, flattop claimer pistons on bushed Scat rods and a 3310 Holley w/'67 Z28 manifold, maybe 350HP tops).

The water pump is the Edelbrock aluminum LWP. The radiator is the cheap aluminum one from Summit plus the Summit shroud attachment kit (side mount). The seven blade fan is the regular one you can get from Classic or NPD and the clutch is from the closest auto parts store by my house.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 11, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Here's the information on the factory first gen radiators and shroud combination dependant on engine/AC configuration including part numbers.

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml#shroud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode