A 1 ton diesel cooling system in a first gen. - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

A 1 ton diesel cooling system in a first gen.

A customer brought his '69 Camaro in and wanted to be able to drive it reliably. It over heated quite a bit. The engine combination was very wrong, but it ran pretty good, so I just came up with a cooling system that would handle anything.

I put the biggest aluminum radiator they make for GM in there. I had to fabricate a cradle and top clap like the newer cars have. I also fabricated a fan shroud for it. It turned out nice. I wanted a non car person to believe that this is how the car came. The amount of work to put a radiator this big in a '69 Camaro is unbelievable. I think I pulled it off though.

And just in case you see '69 Camaro and wonder if it's my work, ...look for this stamp in the top clamp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Speed's expensive, how fast do you want to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech

Re: A 1 ton diesel cooling system in a first gen.

It's just a small block. Not even A/C. Stock system will be fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

Except the stock system WASN'T fine. It had the factory small 3 core, fan shroud and six blade flex fan. I back flushed the cooling system, replaced the t-stat with a 180 and got the proper mix of coolant and water. It would run at 190 for about 5 minutes, then slowly climb to over 220 then up to 240.

I'm guessing from the exhaust pulse that compression is somewhere in the 12:1 range and it's probably bored too. This guy has owned the car for 15 years and has never been able to drive it very far. The temp stays around 180-190 now. Maybe in a few years, we'll worry about changing the combination. I put the bug in his ear about it already so he has it in the back of his mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 06:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The work you did is commendable but way over kill! There is something driving the heat, some of it may be the high compression but not enough that a stock rad in good condition with the proper fan couldn't handle. A bad tune, timing, wrong plugs etc and even the waterpump or an obstruction in the block, something is creating excessive heat.

That 6 blade flex fan may even have a lot to do with it. Flex fans flatten out at rpm and restrict the air through the radiator!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alan

It's not the timing, tune, spark plugs, block restriction or water pump. I checked all the usual suspects. When I back flushed the system, I used a flush solvent and didn't stop until the water ran crystal clear. The pump was pumping water like a champ. Something internal with the combination is most likely the culprit. Yes, I agree. What I did was overkill, but now if and when we change the engine combination, (or go to a big block) nothing will have to be done to the cooling system.

Besides, after a couple/few decades of doing this, if a customer brings in his car because it's overheating, the last thing he wants to hear is, "The engine is not put together well. We need to build a new engine that won't overheat." Even though that is most likely the case, it's hard to convince a layman of that. That's a sure way to scare him off and into the hands of another garage that really has no clue what they're doing with a car like this. Been there, done that too many times to mention. Then they bring the car back so I can fix what the other guy did, AND the original problem.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Very nice work!

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 10:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

That is fantastic work. The detail work in the sheet metal is amazing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 11, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

That shroud is very impressive, Wow!! Looks great!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode