VA compressor alignment problem - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 11, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
VA compressor alignment problem

I had VA Gen IV installed in my 68. It has short WP so compressor went on passenger side and I have headers. The installer used the supplied 2 7/16" spacers to attach the compressor bracket to the heads through the header flange (plus the 1/8" shim for 1/4" flange headers). The problem is the belt is not aligned with the WP and crank very well. The angle makes the belt want to go too far into the block. It works OK until I really get on it, then it throws the belt off. I replaced the rear spacer with a 2" piece of 3/8 pipe so it changed the angle of the compressor and made it line up now with WP and crank almost perfect. But I thought I'd see if anyone has seen this problem.

Also I don't see any front to back adjustment on the compressor. The compressor has a 2 groove pulley and I am using the front one. If I could move the compressor forwards 1/2" I could use the rear pulley and then I woudln't have to remove the valve cover in order to push the compressor in far enough to remove the belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 11, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: VA compressor alignment problem

Did VA send the proper brackets for short water pump? If you do not specify,could be the one for LWP. Should not have to mod that much to get good alignment. I'd email the VA tech line.

[email protected]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Re: VA compressor alignment problem

I got in touch with a VA tech. I took the bracket off and it looks like the cylinder that is welded on top of the bracket is not exactly on top (at 12:00) but slightly to the left and at a slight angle (not parallel with the bracket).

I haven't heard from the VA tech on these pics yet. Does anyone else have one of these they can compare to mine? Does mine look right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor bracket 001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	24822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor bracket 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor bracket 003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	24824  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode