Cabin Air Filter Mod - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 11, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Cabin Air Filter Mod

Has anybody tried or heard of adding a cabin filter to their car? After working my butt off building a clean and "new" vehicle, it sure would be nice if maybe this would keep a little bit of the dust out.

I was thinking of modifying the kick panel vents to accept an over the counter filter. One concern is the possibility of it getting wet and how much the air flow would be restricted.

Any thoughts?

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 11, 01:44 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Cabin Air Filter Mod

Larry - I think it's self defeating option unless you never roll your car windows down. As for fabing up something in your '69 you have air coming into the cab from the kick panel vents and via the heater and defroster ducting. That would require 3 filters to get the job done.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 11, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Larry - I think it's self defeating option unless you never roll your car windows down.
That makes sense. But, say if I got caught in a dust storm, it might help keep the interior clean if I wanted some outside, non-refrigerated air at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
As for fabing up something in your '69 you have air coming into the cab from the kick panel vents and via the heater and defroster ducting. That would require 3 filters to get the job done.
I failed to mention it has a aftermarket HVAC unit. Since it recirculates its air source, I figured the kick panels would be the only source of outside air.

I'll have to think about this one.

Thanks!

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 11, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Water management would be a big problem with the Camaro's existing air flow.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Josh

Volkswagon makes the filter housing parts available for the new beetle, basically a cage that fits ontop of the 4"x4" (approx) hole where the screen is (above the blower motor) on a 2006 beetle.

Filters are cheap, I'm about to do something similar to my Nova just for fun, let me know what you end up using!

*there are several manufactors that provide filter housing kits to upgrade vehicles that were not ordered with them, a literal plethora to choose from if you do some looking around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode