water temp fluxuating - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to tony -Di
water temp fluxuating

in my 67 engine 350 .standard trans A/C Vintageair origanal A/C car . i Have a water temp gage installed the probe is in the intake manafold on the left side of the thremastat housing . when driving the water temp goes to 190 to 210. and then i look over and the needle is climbing it will go over 300 and the thermostat opens it will drop back to 210 .and keeps happining and inbetween it will peeg the needle high . I have changed the thermastat twice ,i have run the heat ,yesterday i went on a two hour ride to a show and two hours back and it did it both ways . it allso feels like the defroster heat wasnt not as hot as it could be it worked because the windows would fog quick and when i turned on the defrost it cleared quick . i was wounderin if and how to check the valve the controls the heater that in in the hot water hose in the engine compartment it is vacuum operated
thanks for if anyone has any sugestions
tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: water temp fluxuating

Are you sure you don't have a wiring problem, maybe a short to ground?

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would do the following:
1. Test thermostat in a pan of water and a known thermometer measuring the opening temp and when fully open.
2. Visit Radio Shack or a TV repair and get a 0-500 ohm potentiometer/rheostat and connect the gauge wire from the sensor to the center rheo/pot post and one of the other two legs to ground and adjust the pot/rheo for the same reading on the gauge as the t/stst temperature plus 10.
3. Once you do Step 2, run the engine then disconnect the gauge wire and measure the resistance from the stud to ground. The sensor resistence should be close to the gauge value. If sensor reads lower, then get another sensor.
4. If the temp gauge is OE, a Standard Motor Products sensor p/n TS6, might be the direct replacement.
5. Shoot the manifold with a temp gun to read its temp and compare with present gauge set-up. Should be close.

If the engine is hotting as hot as you say, you would know the minute you open the hood, your foiace will feel very hot as if you stuck your head in a preheated oven.

I might do Step 5 first.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
when driving the water temp goes to 190 to 210. and then i look over and the needle is climbing it will go over 300 and the thermostat opens it will drop back to 210
Follow what he guys say above because GM idiot light comes on at 235 deg..and if u are hitting much above that u WILL be blowing head gaskets and sezing up the engine, which it sounds like u have not done so.
A note: I always recomend running idiot light and gauge...a red light flash up on the dash is instant, a gauge go high may not be noticed on say a road trip...hence why track cars also run idiot lights.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
george

Good tips as posted above^.Just would like to add.. air in the system will bring on similiar issues.It is crucial to burp all air, or steam pockets will occur and skew any temp sensor readings.If in doubt..jack up the front end while filling to aid in purge.Point is..to get the radiator fill opening higher than the t-stat housing..as you well know.. air likes to go up and out if allowed.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 06:14 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Are you sure you don't have a wiring problem, maybe a short to ground?
X2 a bad ground will peg the needle also.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 11, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
If in doubt..jack up the front end while filling
Damn that sounds like hard work
Park the wheels on a couple 4x2s or up on a kerb....or up the drive slope doesnt take much...and air locking is very rare anyway.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

ok first thanks for all the input . the gage is not a wired it is a bulbed type . but i think the sugestion about air might be what is happening because the temp bulb is in the intake manifold in the same port that the thermostat is in and if the water boiles or if there is air in the port before the thermostat opens and lets the cooler water in it might be what is happening
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
and if the water boiles or if there is air in the port before the thermostat opens and lets the cooler water in it might be what is happening
Nope....
IF u have the CORRECT thermostat in in it will have a small bleed hole ..there fore the water before and after will be the same
Air locks are very rare, and IF u had followed suggestions above then u would have raised the font of the car...on a jack or kerb or bit of wood, what ever removed the cap, topped it up and replaced.....eliminated that.
have u the CORRECT cap on it yet...they are only a couple bucks...and little effort.
Have u checked the temp gauge is reading correct?

Other than the buying of the cap everything is free and only a couple minutes to carry out.
Unlees these VERY BASIC steps are taken then we are just banging our head aginst a brick wall.
Keep in mind several of us guys above are not just therorists who have read a few manually, each of us has decades of hands on experiance and knowledge.....EACH.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

ok I havent had a chance to get here to report , i jacked the car opened the cap which is not a year old , as i topped it off i could hear it gerbling i left about an inch from the top i havent had a chance to take her out i will report back after i do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode