New Radiator questions/suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

New Radiator questions/suggestions

Hello, Let me first apologize if any of these questions are well lets just say unique......

Im looking at a new radiator for my '68 and I would like a polished one as well. Possibly in 2 years or so I may be swapping engines with a bigblock...I know that there are both small and big block applications. Is it possible to get a big block radiator for my 350 just in case I decide to go that route or no? Also what brand do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Re: New Radiator questions/suggestions

Benito,

I have just done some research on radiators and bought one. I am far from an expert but from what I have found the big block radiator is larger than the small block. Either one should fit your car but you may have to make some modification. I went with the big block radiator for better cooling. Haven't installed it yet so I cannot say that it fits but I am not worried. Good luck with your decision.

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Thanks, did u get electric fans as well?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 04:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

A big block radiator will bolt right in to your car with out any problems.The core support has two sets of mounting holes for both sizes of radiator from the factory.The big block radiator has a 23'' core versus the small blocks 21'' core.You will need to get the appropriate fan shroud for your application.For your set up you will need a small block with A/C fan shroud.I have this set up in my 69 small block car and a buddy of mine has the same set up in his 67 small block car.We both went with Griffin aluminum radiators that have 23'' dual 1 1/4'' rows.The radiators bolted in perfectly.I am not sure if they offer a polished version,I hit mine with some of Eastwoods radiator black and it looks dead stock.An aluminum radiator with a 23'' core and 1 1/4'' rows will handle a big block no problem when you are ready to make the change.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Well said Matt.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
A big block radiator will bolt right in to your car with out any problems.The core support has two sets of mounting holes for both sizes of radiator from the factory.The big block radiator has a 23'' core versus the small blocks 21'' core.You will need to get the appropriate fan shroud for your application.For your set up you will need a small block with A/C fan shroud.I have this set up in my 69 small block car and a buddy of mine has the same set up in his 67 small block car.We both went with Griffin aluminum radiators that have 23'' dual 1 1/4'' rows.The radiators bolted in perfectly.I am not sure if they offer a polished version,I hit mine with some of Eastwoods radiator black and it looks dead stock.An aluminum radiator with a 23'' core and 1 1/4'' rows will handle a big block no problem when you are ready to make the change.
Thank you I appreciate it...Question my AC does not work and hasnt worked in a while nor do I care to have it....Stupid question but i got confused when you said A/C fan shroud....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 10:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Alumitech is what I finally bought. I live in the south and the big block radiator with the single 16" Spal fan works perfect. I never even make it to 200 degrees anymore. It is worth the extra money trust me.

https://secure.wf-api.com/www.chevel...ng.com/46.html

69 SS Silver Camro, LS3 efi, 4L60e with 2800 stall, mini tubed 12bolt 3.73, Ridetech front suspension ladder bar rear.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

The reason for the mentioning of the A/C fan shroud is because it will properly fit the 23'' radiator.Standard non A/C small block cars used a 21'' radiator and in turn a different fan shroud to fit that radiator.Small block A/C cars and all big block cars used the larger 23'' radiator.The big block fan shroud has the opening for the fan offset to the passenger side due to the factory offset of the motor to gain clearance from the steering box.The small block version has the fan opening more towards the center of the shroud because there is no offset in the small block set up.The 23'' big block fan shroud is also shorter than the small block shroud due to the fact that a big block is physically longer than a small block.This was changed in 1969 when all small blocks received 21'' radiators and all big blocks received 23'' radiators.The core thicknesses varied depending on the options.I hope this clarified things a bit for you.Good luck!

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Benito, don't think of the 23" SB radiator in an AC sense (although use of the SB AC shroud is mandatory for your current SB application).

Think of it as a future 23" BB radiator (you'll only have to swap out the SB shroud for a BB one when the time comes).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Benito

Copy all thanks!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 10:29 PM
Tech Team
Paul

BeCool Big Block Radiator before mounting dual fans..... and then finished.
Works PERFECTLY!!!!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 11:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

I live in Las Vegas, NV and the Mojave Desert, which it gets extremely HOT HOT HOT here in July and August, I like to cruise the World Famous Strip at night, and hear all the comments, pictures from the Tourist. I have a 68 Camaro Coupe with a 350 and 400 Turbo, and when running the Stock 3 Row Harrison Radiator in bumper to bumper traffic, the car would heat up, and knew you had to get out of the traffic, this went on for a couple of summers, then decided to and purchased a Flex a lite Aluminum radiator with the electric Single fan and shroud, set it up for it to kick on with the thermastic control, this solved all my heating problems, I highly recommend Flex a lite at least for use here in Las Vegas and the extremely hot weather conditions. They have assortments for many collector car's, and have an excellent Customer Service Dept, that knows their product and what they recommend for your ride..........There are many radiator builders out there and they all say their's are the best, could be I don't know, all I know is my experience with the one I have in my Coupe, it works for me, and could not be more pleased.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode