Heater box conversion for Vintage Air - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 11, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Heater box conversion for Vintage Air

Well here is the final installed pics (sorry bad pics) of my heater box I converted to fit my vintage air. I did not like the plastic box/cover they provide.

I think this came out looking good. Better than I thought it would.....way better than what I had from Vintage Air!!!!!!!!!

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 11, 01:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Heater box conversion for Vintage Air

Why not run all 4 hoses thru the blower motor plate and then over the fender well?

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 11, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Why not run all 4 hoses thru the blower motor plate and then over the fender well?
The vintage air case in the car will not allow it. You can special order one to do it that way but if you already ordered your SOL and they will not take it back, I asked about it. So if you want to run out the box like that make sure you order the sytem like that.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 11, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
The vintage air case in the car will not allow it. You can special order one to do it that way but if you already ordered your SOL and they will not take it back, I asked about it. So if you want to run out the box like that make sure you order the sytem like that.
I was asking because I have installed a Gen 1 and a Gen 4 system and ran both thru the blower motor hole.

So if you order the one that goes thru the hole for the heater box the fittings go directlly thru it. There is no way of putting a 90 degree fitting on the evaporator lines to go where the heater hoses are going?

Mike

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 11, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I was asking because I have installed a Gen 1 and a Gen 4 system and ran both thru the blower motor hole.

So if you order the one that goes thru the hole for the heater box the fittings go directlly thru it. There is no way of putting a 90 degree fitting on the evaporator lines to go where the heater hoses are going?
I could have done a 90 deg for the small line. The larger one one will not fit under the heater box. I would have been paying to fab a spacer to fit between the heat box and firewall. Part of my problem is I live in the boondocks and there is not a big selection of people that can make a custom hose. After looking at cost involved I could have just bought another A/C unit and not used the one I have for not much more (about $150.00) that what it was going to cost me to fab something up to make the 90 deg stuff work and buy the bulkhead fitting.

At some point when I get done spending cash on the rest of the project I will change out the system for the newest style system. I am moving to Tucson AZ from Arkansas so I will see how well it works this summer . If the vintage air can handle that then I will upgrade at some point and change it out to the bulk head style.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 11, 03:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would not use the bulkhead. I would do all 4 hoses with the rubber grommets. That way you don't have to worry about a leak at the bulkhead. It is a pain to get under the fender. I have been there.

You can see the aluminum bulkhead head w/grommets I made on the passenger firewall.

Mike

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 11, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I didn't like the VA plate either, I used a DSE block off plate and ran the hoses where the blower hole would be, w/ grommets of course.

VA makes the extended hose kit to do this btw, and with proper #8-10-12 fittings, you can route those hoses anywhere.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 11, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
I didn't like the VA plate either, I used a DSE block off plate and ran the hoses where the blower hole would be, w/ grommets of course.

VA makes the extended hose kit to do this btw, and with proper #8-10-12 fittings, you can route those hoses anywhere.
My big Ac line connection sticks out past the firewall on the vintage air unit I have. For 90 deg to fit under the stock heater boxit would have required a spacer about 1/4 inch think between the stock heat box and the firewall to clear.

Pics below have the plastic inner panel of the box installed on the firewall. You can see the large A/C line sticking out. the smaller lower ones are the heater hose connections.

Not a real good picture, does not show much of how far it sticks out.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 11, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post

I could have never used the DSE block plate, everything sticks out way too much. I could have used one if I would have known at the time I ordered that you can order the system set up to run the hoses through the blower motor hole. They will sell you all the parts and of course it cost a little more. I wish I would have known about the option prior to ordering. I called them about 4 months after I recieved the system to ask if I could exchange it for the system that uses the extened hoses. It had only been out of the box to see the parts and read about the install. I was told sorry no returns, refunds or exchanges. I even offered to pay all shipping costs and offered to pay a restocking fee......no such luck from Vintage air. They did offer to sell me another system and or all the parts to do what I needed which included a new underdash A/C system. The price was about $750.00 at that time.

BTW this is the cable operated system......I have had it for about 4 years.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode