Is there an updated heater blower? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 11, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Is there an updated heater blower?

The heater blower in my '69 is very ineffective in cold weather. Is one available that blows more air?

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 11, 08:40 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Is there an updated heater blower?

It may just need the fan bearings lubed/services or replaced if the rpm of the various fan speeds are not up to factory specs. Aftermarket higher output fans for other applications are available but I don't know how easy to fit in the original box they are, and the additional current draw maybe an issue.

Or is it a case of the fan output is fine but air leaks around doors, firewall incursions, and leaky vent flaps are overcoming the heater box output? Could also be heater core clogged with sludge so not much getting through. If you feel both heater hoses - is the input hose hotter then the output hose - normal or are the hoses the same and both on the colder side of things? If so you have no flow through the heater core. If they feel the same temp then the fan has failed to dissipate any heat. Flaps on the vent doors have/had weatherstrip like foam to seal them that disintegrates with time and use, but can be resealed. And check those extra unused holes on the fire wall. Rubber and plastic pug kits can seal the original factory unused holes and if new aftermarket accessory holes were standard size and no longer used the same plugs can be used to seal them.

My small block 350 roasts me alive. I wish I could install a fan controlling thermostat so I wouldn't need to keep turning the heat off and open the windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 3rd, 11 at 06:33 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech

I considered using one from an 88 sub that I had but the fan is deeper and wouldn't fit. The motor diameter is larger but it is much lighter. It must be wound with Aluminum or something. I checked the shaft speed with a mechanical tachometer and the fan from the Camaro ran a little faster. I agree with the leaky flaps, I replaced the heater core and re-sealed everything on a 68 A/C car years ago and it would get so hot in freezing weather I had to crack the window to cool off..

Ron
The

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
John

Dave the 69 blower/fan works great if it is working at specs. MY heater will run me out of the car when on full heat and mid fan speed.

Somethings not right if you think your blower isnt working as good as it could.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I swapped out the small block heater core for a big block version after I broke off one of the outlet tubes while putting in my 383. At that time I put new seals in the heater case. I can feel air coming out of the vent on the floor just in front of the center console, but it's not much. I'm think of putting in Dynamat (or something like that) after the new year. I will try to address the blower issue then. I will not be pulling the fender off to fix it. I know that much.

Dave

1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 05:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
I swapped out the small block heater core for a big block version after I broke off one of the outlet tubes while putting in my 383. At that time I put new seals in the heater case. I can feel air coming out of the vent on the floor just in front of the center console, but it's not much. I'm think of putting in Dynamat (or something like that) after the new year. I will try to address the blower issue then. I will not be pulling the fender off to fix it. I know that much.
So even just idling in the driveway you get little or no heat, so its not air incursion under the pressure of driving bleeding through the kick panel vents or firewall?

I'm not sure the diameter of the tubing for SB and BB heater cores are the same, I would assume the BB is larger so you may need to replace with the correct core to get the right output.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

It's not a heat problem. The blower is not moving enough air.

Dave

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

I used to just put on an air conditioning blower motor and put duct tape over the vent hole. That moved a lot more air.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

the squirle cage is plastic and maybe over time it has broken or come loose from the drive or is slipping? Maybe something has gotten into the blower/cowl area and it's glogged up?

You should be able to hear the fan spin when the engine is off, does it spin and does it change speeds with the dash fan speed switch? maybe your switch is bad? You should be able to jump the wires to check this.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 11, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Does you fan switch work at all speeds. I have had the Hi go out. A new fan motor from auto zone at $25 bucks and seal it all up should work just fine.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 11, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Is it possible that your heater box under the dash has a door that isn't open? Like the others have said mine blows a lot of hot air. I pulled my used heater motor from a 69 Nova and it works great.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Dec 4th, 11 at 07:41 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 11, 07:01 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Your factory heating system can provide all the heat you need if working correctly. Putting on a higher volume blower will not solve your problem unless as stated earlier your motor is not up to par or your blower wheel is loose.

ML67
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Andrew isn't the only one here who blows a lot of hot air. So do I.

If you're willing to drill a hole in your inner fender to access those nasty fan bolts and then use a plastic plug in the hole you can remove the blower motor w/o removing the fender. Measure twice, cut once as they say.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fred, I would check the blower noise first as Joe suggests, Post 9, without the engine running to hear the different speeds. You can even run a hot wire from the battery to the blower spade for high speed ensuring the motor does turn.

If blower turns at a fairly good rate, then I would check cable action first, as others have suggested, ensuring the cables actually do their function and heater control levers are not broken.

You can remove the glovebox and then remove the heater assembly inside from the dash with all the cables and resistor block hooked up to see the doors work, directing air flow to the floor or defrost, the air temp door adjusting air temp, and feel the air from the blower still mounted on the firewall.

After removing the inside assembly palnuts from the engine side firewall, there is one nut left on the other side of the motor to remove so you can pull off the blower panel from the engine side.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech

Do you know if the "squirrel cage" is on correctly? The open part should face into the interior.

I had the same problem after reassembly and of course, putting the front sheetmetal back on. I figured I must have gotten a weak motor (at the time, GM was still available new and that is what I used), but when I removed it (using the Chevrolet Service Manual procedure without removing the fender, as I have detailed in other posts here), I realized I had the squirrel cage backward, with the solid/domed part toward the interior. The fan will go on and fit/turn without interference either way, so...

I bought this 69 in boxes, and it had been a long time since I had replaced the blower motor on the 68. The OE motor had the fan on backwards as described, and I just transferred it to the new motor without even thinking about it.

It acted exactly as you describe; at full on, it barely moved air out the dash top or down to the floor. Installed fan right way round (after losing much arm and hand skin), and it will easily keep me warm even with the top down with ambient temps into the upper 30s.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode