Heater Core 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
brian

Heater Core 68 Camaro

Wondering if anyone has any inside scoop regarding the heater core for a 68 camaro. I am in the process of restoring it and have ordered two separate heater cores. The first was what I thought was the correct core, a small block chevy with no A/C. It was too thick for the clips to work at all. I called Camaro Central and they were good enough to check their stock and ask me if my box was a late model 68 because it might be a 69 heater core.......which is a bit slimmer. So I ordered that core..........still the clips will not clip in at all not even close. Now mind you these clips are exactly like the ones that came off of the box originally so in my mind its not the clips. Does anyone have any clue what core goes on a 68 camaro, SB without A/C............and where can I get one. Or...what is the deal with these not fitting my box. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Heater Core 68 Camaro

Generally, since pickings are slim, you might take your OE core to the shop and see if they can repair it.
Or maybe, build you a new one.
Have you tried NAPA?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
brian

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I broke the golden rule......I got rid of the old one already. What do you think about altering the clips?? The core sinks in good to the box but again the clips just cant be installed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech

I've never had a problem finding heater cores from any radiator shop or auto parts. Just check it for leaks before you install and after. Last one leaked as soon as I put water in it without pressure.

Ron
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Autozone worked for me. No air, first try they gave me a 67 air one. They said the listings were messed up(duh). Returned it, ordered the 68 one and it was the right thickness and correct.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you aren't dead nuts set on being correct consider a BBC heater core. You just have to drill a couple of holes in the existing underhood box, buy the repro tube bezel, fab or modify the clips and plug the old tube holes. It's a way better set-up and makes one wonder why they weren't all like that.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

We had a radiator shop at the old bodyshop. Ordering radiators and heater cores was as easy as looking up the application and picking up the phone. Cores can be purchased as well.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Did they look like these?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...word&Nty=1&N=0

Or this:
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...o-AC-67-68-69/

or these:
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...8&category=526

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Mfg in "North America" haha. Thats the same as "hecho en Mexico", where my Autozone one came from. I usually dont like to recommend Autozone for anything but loaner tools but in this case...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz10 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I broke the golden rule......I got rid of the old one already. What do you think about altering the clips?? The core sinks in good to the box but again the clips just cant be installed.
If the new core is thinner, you can get stock alum from your local hdwe store and make spacers to fill the void. Just put an old bicycle tube or rubber between the spacers and the core for cushioning.

This would be a last resort if a regular size one cannot be found.
I always go for AC/Delco brand.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I replaced my small block no A/C core with a big block core. The correct clips for the big block core would not fit so I returned them and modified my small block clips.

I did notice in the description of the clips that it said: If you are using a big block core in a small block heater box to get a 2" core in order for the clips to fit.
The small block core that came out was original Harrison A67 and was 2.5" so I stayed with the 2.5" for the big block core and just modified the one clip to fit better.

I changed to the big block core because it seems to be a lot easier to remove and replace the heater box with the strait tubes of the big block core as apposed to the curved small block tubes. Plus less chance of stressing the tubes trying to wiggle the them through the firewall and causing a leak after installation like the small block core. The hose routing looks cleaner and it gives more room around the valve cover, even with a SB 350.

So like Al said, if your not dead set on correctness, its the way to go. Like a function over form thing.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

Try a radiator shop. Take your heater box and brackets with you. They will be able to get you one that works with your brackets. Make sure the inlet and outlet tubes fit through the holes of the heater box. Then have them add some extra solder to the inlet and outlet tubes where they connect to the core. My new core cracked three times at those connections before I finally got smart.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 03:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daral View Post
Try a radiator shop. Take your heater box and brackets with you. They will be able to get you one that works with your brackets. Make sure the inlet and outlet tubes fit through the holes of the heater box. Then have them add some extra solder to the inlet and outlet tubes where they connect to the core. My new core cracked three times at those connections before I finally got smart.
In an earlier post he stated that he failed to retain the original core but the fact that you do not have it would not prevent a quality radiator shop from building you one that would fit with no issues.

The problem is finding that quality shop. In my area we went from over 25 radiator shops in the late 80's to one here and one on the other side of the river.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 11, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

Yes I saw that in his earlier post, I was talking about the box and brackets that hold the heater core. If he takes those to the radiator shop, they should be able to take the dimensions and buy a core that will fit. Finding a good radiator shop is an issue but they are still around.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode