Aftermarket radiators - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Aftermarket radiators

Hi I am in need of a new radiator for my 69. I was looking at some of them on ebay and wondering what you guys think. I was looking at the aluminum champion brand with the electric fan. My car is a sb car.Radiator in it now measures I think 26 inches wide. What do you guys suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Aftermarket radiators

So what is wrong with an orginal replacement and the clutch fan?
This is still today, an extremely effienent and over built cooling system even on mordern stds.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I've got the Champion small block model along with standard duty clutch fan and have had no problems. Only have 5000 miles or so on it though but it's got a lifetime warranty.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 12:29 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Champion 3 core and twin electric fans (not from Champion)...no issues

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 02:45 PM
Guess

Running a big 2-core aluminum with aluminum shroud and one 2200cfm fan. No problems except the fan noise.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Running an Alumitech with a stock shroud - looks original just no Harrison stamp - cools great.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Steps is right on the money.

Recently I replaced the original or original-like radiator in my street strip 68 camaro...it has a 350 that makes around 400-425 hp in my estimation. I race the car a lot and water temp is critical in getting race cars to run consistently. I get about 10 minutes to cool it down from 185-190 in the summer to 120 before a run. Sometimes I only get 5 minutes if we are later in the show.

One of our fellow TC members put a large 2 core aluminum radiator in like new condition up for sale and I bought it at a great deal...I think with shipping it was about 80 bucks or so.
I put the rad in and upgraded to a tad bigger electric fan.....the difference in cooling rate is marginal if at all.

If you can find either an alum or factory type radiator at a killer deal then go for it. Do not spend the big $$$ on a fancy aluminum radiator, imo they aren't worth it. I got lucky on a screaming deal for mine, hope you can find something similar.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Rad...item519b359f30

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 07:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
terry

X2
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I replaced my orginal factory radiator from classics with a repro nearly 20 yrs ago now....
It was cheaper for me to air freight urgent across the pacific than get the orginal re cored (and that was a cleap Al core) at the time....here ion 5 days door to door.

Since then put up way over 100K maybe 150K and I run a 160 thermo due to my fuel requirements....never goes above 165 unless hit snow lines from sea level or towing one of my vintage cars up a long hill.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 06:12 AM
Guess

The only reason I'm running what I'm running is because I was stuck without one, in a hurry, impatient, and a buddy had this new setup in his garage. Otherwise I would have gone to AutoZone and bought their replacement for $180, found a stock shroud, and bolted up the clutch fan I picked up at Carlisle.
This was a lot quicker and easier.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
This was a lot quicker and easier.
No wiring no switches fuses and dont have to jhoin the long list of those who have issues with the install wiring etc etc.
I dont recolect a post having issues with a replacement factory setup install?????
And Im of the strong oppinion that many of those who have had a factory set up running hot, if they had the headers pulled and cores manually cleaned .....or put anotherway, maintsined the system in the 1st place....they would not have had an issue at all.

From what I gather there is a distinct lack of skilled local radiator workshops that can do this work, and when there is they charge huge rip off prices....
With raditor out it takes a tradesman about an hr to remove header caps manually poke/clean each core re solder up and test for leaks and twist.....drop off by 10am pickup same day about $US 50/60 including 15% sales tax.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 02:05 PM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
....local radiator workshops that can do this work, and when there is they charge huge rip off prices....
With raditor out it takes a tradesman about an hr to remove header caps manually poke/clean each core re solder up and test for leaks and twist.....drop off by 10am pickup same day about $US 50/60 including 15% sales tax.
That's what I thought when I dropped off the original radiator to be fixed\tested. What started out as that, ended up being something in the $650 range because the owner fancied himself quite the salesman. I took the old relic back from him. I didn't need some state-of-the-art, heavy duty, maxed out, ready to grow for the future system that he was trying to sell me.

I just wanted my radiator to work.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
running an alumitech with a stock shroud - looks original just no harrison stamp - cools great.
x2 Made in the USA.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

i have a US Radiator BB 4 core that i bought from Ricks. I run a 6 blade 17 inch fan and a nonthermal flexite clutch. zero cooling issues. i went with the bb radiator because at the time it was 10 bucks cheaper than the sb 4 core. I wish i bought the sb one because in order to get my fan in the correct location i had to use the sb shroud and it looks a little out of place on a bb radiator.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode