Need advice on Cooling System items - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Need advice on Cooling System items

I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum and come to the conclusion that I need some tech advise.
We have had cooling problems on our 69' 350 that was purchased last year. We have to replace the water pump due to weep hole leakage and decided to review what we have currently and what needs to bring this to stock condition.
From what I can tell the fan shroud has been cut out at the bottom for whatever reason, it is running a 6 blade fan and no evidence of fan clutch. We think a high performance water pump (Stage 1) would be advisable and balanced thermostat.
Do not know how to tell if radiator is correct?
What is the best standard setup for this engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 09:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Need advice on Cooling System items

Try looking here. http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Stock components will cool your car efficiently. Read John's tech articles, including Timing 101 which also applies to cooling. If the motor is too low they may have chopped the shroud for clearance. If your shroud is even correct. How exactly is your current systrem set up? Photographs would be nice. http://www.camaros.org/articles.shtml

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I have attached some pics that I hope depicts what your after. The shroud looks like it is higher than engine fan as there is about 2 inches clearance from the inside top and very little clearance on bottom. Hence, it has been cutout

Last edited by jabeyers; Dec 25th, 11 at 06:51 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Looks like all the pics didn't attach. I will have to resize.

Last edited by jabeyers; Dec 24th, 11 at 01:10 PM. Reason: no attachments
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

First you need to straiten out why the fan and shroud don't line up. Then a new fan shroud, correct size fan for the shroud with a thermostatic clutch, 180* thermostat. No need for a performance water pump.

Are the radiator cores clear? Is there excessive mineral build up in the block and head cooling passages. That kind of stuff can make it overheat no matter how many new parts you throw at it

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

This is photo #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0336 (640x480).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	26011  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

This is photo #2. I guess I can't attach more than 1 per post???
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Ditto the guys above..stoch fan clutch water pump and make sure the radator cores are clear Do that and u will have have a cooling system that is way over built for its requirements...hence the need to run the thermostat.

From the descrption u give, it souds like the cooling system has been really messed around with or 'adapted' in a week attempt to patch up a problem...
Which by the sounds of things will come back to blocked cores in the raditor and/or collasped lower raditor hose renforcing spring.....And it is the lack of maintaince here that over decades because the spring is allowed to corroded and brake up, causes the cunge and bits of metal to jam up in the cores.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

If your motor is sitting too low (2" gap at top of the shroud too close to the bottom) you might want to check that you have the correct motor mounts. I had a similar problem with the 69 I used to own. The CRG site will give you the info you need for the correct radiator. A good 3-row radiator is generally more then adequate with the proper fan and shroud.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Measure the top of the fan to the shroud and compare it to the measurement on the sides. If it's the same on the top and sides your fan is centered and a stock will work. Ditch the flex fan and buy a clutch and fan and you should be good to go if the radiator is clean.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

All this is great info and resources, will dive into after the holidays and see how it shakes out.

Thanks & have a Great New Year!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Larry,
Curious about the motor mount comment? We had the mounts replaced about a year ago. This was one of the first things done after purchasing the car and we didn't have any history to compare before and after. How can I tell if they are correct?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeyers View Post
Larry,
Curious about the motor mount comment? We had the mounts replaced about a year ago. This was one of the first things done after purchasing the car and we didn't have any history to compare before and after. How can I tell if they are correct?
http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#EngineMounting
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 12, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

OK! I checked out the CRG info on motor mounts but I need dimensions in order to check out what is currently on car and could not find that. It looks to me that the frame mount brackets determine engine height rather than engine mounts. When I reviewed available catalogue frame mounts, there seems to be two height sizes for the 69' 350 engine but again no specific dimensions for me to compare against. Any info on this would help.
Also, I have ordered a fan shroud to make sure it is not the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode