67 Camaro AC problem - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Question 67 Camaro AC problem

AC and blower motor stopped working on 67 Camaro. Started operating intermittently and then totally went out. I ran new in-line fuse and wire to relay, replaced relay and then installed new blower switch in AC/HEATER assembly. Still no luck.

I understand that the blower motor will only operate if circuits are closed. I am at a loss eclectically!

Can anyone tell me if I should be receiving live current back to the AC blower switch or does it operate based on resistance?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Help with 67 Camaro AC

AC and blower motor stopped working on 67 Camaro. Started operating intermittently and then totally went out. I ran new in-line fuse and wire to relay, replaced relay and then installed new blower switch in AC/HEATER assembly. Still no luck.

I understand that the blower motor will only operate if circuits are closed. I am at a loss eclectically!

Can anyone tell me if I should be receiving live current back to the AC blower switch or does it operate based on resistance?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Monty
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro AC problem

If OE A/C system, I would jumper battery power to blower to see if it does work continously. Relay is only for high speed. A 40+ yr old motor may be tired and at its end of life.
If A/C compressor stopped working, corrosion on fuse sockets/clips or high pressure switch stuck open.
More to come later, dinner is being served.........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Everett, thanks - AC Compressor will not kick on. Blower motor worked on low and medium for a while. High speed stopped working first. That is why I tried the relay replacement.

Can you tell me how to check to see if the pressure switch is stuck ?

Thanks, Monty
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
john

I didnt know first gens had a high pres switch.

Anyway its easy to troubleshoot.

The high press switch is a safety device desinged to open and disable the system in an exccesive presure scenario.

Check the switch with an ohm meter while the system is off(de-engergized).The swich should be closed and have continuity.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
john

If the system has a low press switch it will work as follows.

It will have continuity during normal pressure.The switch will be closed.

When low press happens the switch will open and disable the system.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Theres no high or low pressure switch on a first gen AC system, the compressor will run if the switch is put in the AC position and the hoses were disconnected. There is a low temperature switch on the passenger side of the underhood suitcase that drops the clutch out of the circuit when the air temp in the duct is less than 29 degrees. The inline fuse in the wire gutter at the back of the engine compartment only feeds the high speed fan circuit. The relay on the suitcase is energized by power from the switch in the dash, and it connects the wire from the fuse directly to the fan lead. All other speeds have power supplied from the dash circuit and power goes thru the resistors on the top of the suitcase. If you have no fan speeds at all the problem is in the power circuit under the dash, or the blower speed selector switch.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thank you, Mark. Appreciate the info.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 09:50 AM
Retired
Jim

Monty, I merged your 2 threads on your a/c issue. Lets keep them all together in one place so folks remember where they were helping you

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 12, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Jim, Thanks, New at posting and made a mistake. Thanks for catching it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 12, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

If you have a reasonably stock '67 AC , I'd check the rubber contact seal on the vacuum operated switch can that provides power for the entire AC system.

It's located on the inside AC controls and has a flat two blade connector going into the side of the vacuum can.

You can forget that other high/low pressure info.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 12, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Michael ! I will check it. I assume if the rubber cap is cracked (which mine is) that might be the problem. ( or at least part of the problem )
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 12, 04:25 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Yes the rubber cap is the A/C clutch switch if yours is cracked and leaking vacuum I would have to say that would cause intermittent clutch activity. Until the crack gets to the point that vacuum can no longer make the contacts connect then you wont have any clutch operation. If you want jumper the two wires there and see if the compressor kicks on. If it does then at least one problem is solved. As for the blower motor I believe you need to check the basics with power and ground to blower motor and to switches. Sometimes if blower motors go back a simple tap with hammer on motor end will get them to turn a little confirming bad blower motor. Good luck!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 12, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

at least you can buy the rubber replacement cap but the entire switch is a little harder to find.... make sure to keep the metal disk in the cap because they only sell the rubber part.

brandan-

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 12, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Brandon, Thanks - you are right! been trying to find replacement control switch for a few days with no luck. Thanks for your advise. Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode