Waterless engine coolant? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Waterless engine coolant?

I was checking out Jay Leno's website and saw the video where he interviews the guy from Evans waterless engine coolant. Has anyone used this stuff before? I was thinking of having my radiator boiled out this year, and I like the idea of coolant that lasts the life of the car, especially since I have those expensive L89 aluminum heads on the engine.

http://www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/

'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, L89 842 heads and '69 Vette tripower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Waterless engine coolant?

Has been discussed before
Bottom line...If your cooling system (which in our old cars is WAY over built) cant cool then there is something wrong with it....So Fix it it...
Dont get sucked into the marketing /propaganda BS that u need such a product when u dont.
And it will not make the engine run cooler...regardless of what coolant u use the thermostat will determine that.

Also When one has different metals in the cooling system, iron, brass, Aluminium there is electolyis and in your anti freeze there are chemicals to buffer against the corrossion.

For how long have manufactures, who world wide have spent billiions in research on cooling systems over the last 100 yrs.....how many in that time recommend using this stuff?
How many void warrantees if the correct mixes are not used?
I repeat Bottom line..."If your cooling system cant cool then there is something wrong with it....So Fix it it..."
"Dont get sucked into the marketing /propaganda BS that u need such a product when u dont."

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 01:50 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris396 View Post
I was checking out Jay Leno's website and saw the video where he interviews the guy from Evans waterless engine coolant. Has anyone used this stuff before? I was thinking of having my radiator boiled out this year, and I like the idea of coolant that lasts the life of the car, especially since I have those expensive L89 aluminum heads on the engine.

http://www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/
I don't think it's necessary or a real benefit unless your car is a muesum piece. At some point a water pump or hose may fail or you want to swap a manifold or do a valve job so you will remove the heads. In the planned events you can capture the fluid and re-use it but with the unforseen well you would just be pouring dollars onto the road!

Beyond that I don't know what the caviots are with using a product like Evens. Does it react to air like dexcool? If you are on the road and blow a hose can you add water to get you home?

The stuff we put in our radiators is called antifreeze because it's designed to not freeze in inclimate weather. It actually is not a cooling agent and doesn't cool as well as water. Water is corosive so antifreeze provides other factors to the equation making it more desirable than water, it is an anti-corosive and a lubricant. A 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze has kept engines cool on the hottest desert hwys for ever! Only when neglected does what you put in your radiator cause corosion and parts failure. I just don't see any reason to spend 2 or 3 times the money...

I'm also skeptical that the product is truly waterless. JMO..

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 01:58 PM
Tech Team
Corey

I 2nd that!...I work on cars and you wouldn't believe the amount of people that use what I call "mechanic in a can" and they get burned on these products. There isn't going to be a product out there that can fix a mechanical problem. If the manufacture of the vehicle thought this would be beneficial for the vehicle they would have put it in there from factory. Same with the all makes all models stuff. Do you really believe one size fits all? No, in fact today's manufactures make there products and they are the ones that know what chemicals are compatible with their vehicles.

Our cars are much similar. Example: Zinc was used in motor oils back when our cars were built. Now they don't put it in motor oil. Zinc is the lubricant that keeps flat tappet cams running. The nice smooth hardened finish on a cam lobe is only approx 0.010" deep. After that surface is burned thru, that lobe is only a matter of hours b4 it's completely whiped out.

As far as longevity of fluids, would you believe an oil that said you would never need to change? Fluids break down over time even if the vehicle isn't a daily driver. That's where the "3 month or 3,000 miles whichever comes first" came from.

Using plain green coolant will be just fine for your car. Just change it once every other year. Think, water boils at 212 degrees farinheit at atmospheric pressure. For every psi put on it the boiling point raises 3 degrees. So if you have a 15psi rated radiator cap that would raise your boiling point 45 degrees for a total of 257 degrees. And that's plain water, coolant will be a little higher. If you're running that hot then there is one serious problem and chances are you are going to blow a head gasket.

Hope this helps you with your decision!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 07:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I looked into the Evans waterless coolant for my blower motor. If you install this into your engine and you have a leak, blow a hose while driving it you cant add water to it. This stuff and water do not mix. So you would have to carry extra with you incase something happens.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode