67 sm to bb heater core conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

67 sm to bb heater core conversion

I plan to change my heater core from smallblock to large block what is needed and where to drill the holes so the tubes line up and photo would help me out thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: 67 sm to bb heater core conversion

You need a big block core, probably have to modify your SB heater core clips (I had no luck with the BB ones). Get a heater box seal kit and a heater tube flange plate. If your firewall pad is shot, it's a good time to replace it as it serves as the gasket between the heater box and firewall. The problem with the firewall pad is that it fits TERRIBLE from the center of the car left. If I had to do it again I would cut it down the center and install just the right side, or maybe try the contoured one from Quiet Ride.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180° Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

While Luwi67 is technically correct, if you want to go cheap you can turn the SBC heater core upside down and punch/drill (I used Greenlee dies) some holes in the box located off of the SBC heater core in that position. Don't forget to use a grommet where the hoses interface with the box.

That's what I did before I got the correct items. It's not correct but it works.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 67 sm to bb heater core conversion

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 12, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

That looks real good Tom. What did you use to block off the original SB holes through the firewall? I'll be doing this pretty soon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

The heater box seal kit will come with a block off piece for the SB holes. Basically it's a piece of 3/8" closed cell foam that you can glue in place with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, just make sure you don't get the adhesive on the foam where the holes are or you'll see it on the engine side looking all sloppy.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180° Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Thanks! Any of those seals in that kit interior flap seals? Been looking at my box and one door or flap has staples in it but nothing left of a seal if there was one.
And thank you, John for letting me get a few questions in here. I'm right at this stage too. Thinking about trying to disassemble the heater box to get the rust out. Just spot welds, right?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Yes, there are flap seals too. I glued them in with the 3M super weather strip adhesive. believe it or not I actually got those staples out without disassembling the heater box, it can be done with an insane amount of patience.

Yes, just spotwelds. I just gave mine a POR-15 Metal Ready bath instead of cutting any spot welds. I guess it's like a phosphate bath to dissolve the rust, It works though.

John, how are you making out? I have a tip that I found out while I was doing mine. If you haven't seen your hidden VIN under the blower motor yet, you can see it with the heater box out. Use a small mirror and a flashlight.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180° Headers

black/black
no radio
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you have the inside and outside heater box out try assembling it on a table. It is easier trying to line up the holes to be cut for the BB heater core.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode