Water Pump leaks only at start up? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Water Pump leaks only at start up?

Can't figure it out and need some advice
My 67 with a 350 appears to leak from under the water pump at start up. This only happens when the car has not been started for awhile, like 30 days. Once the car runs awhile the leak stops. Do I need a water pump? If I grab the fan I can just barely wobble it and don't hear any squealing noises. I read somewhere that the seals dry out causing the leak and then get wet and the leak stops?
Thanks for any insight or help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 08:46 AM
Lifetime Gold Member
Drew

Re: Water Pump leaks only at start up?

I had the same problem with my Cutlass, I changed it figuring at the least convenient time it would go. So in my opinon I would say change it. Pain in the neck draining the radiator and all but other than that, it's an easy job.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Slight play, thatsa wear in the bearing, and the leak is wear in the seal.
The water leaks past the seal into the bearing and that causes wear corrosion in the the bearing....caused primarly by long periods between us .
What usually happens is the bearing wears...usually because of the high side loading of the belts on the bearing, and nothing is noticed untill this wears the seal, water seap past the bearing and out the drain hole on the bottom side of the water pump.
This then usually is picked up un the fan leaving splaters on the under side of the hood.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Thanks Guys,
So it sounds like I should be replacing the pump?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Water Pump leaks only at start up?

Yes, the problem will only get worse. Water is now getting into the bearing.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another67 View Post
Thanks Guys,
So it sounds like I should be replacing the pump?
yep, with play in the bearings it will only get worse - good news is it's a very easy job on a first Gen.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 12, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I run my water pump fan a little on the loose side..not tensioned right up.
At the factory spec, daily driver, I used to cut out a water pump every couple yrs.
Though t maybe inferior bearings on rebilt pumps or something like that....but no, did the same when I rebuilt a pump using quailty bearing.
So If I plant it around 4600/ 4800 it will sqweal...this water pump has lasted up for 7 or 8 yrs now and no play.
I have wondered if it has something to do with the fan belts....
ie the correct profile belt for our pullies, but eliminated that years go...
I different construction /compounds in the fan belt to what was manufactured 40 yrs ago which may require a different tension....a possibilty, therory at best.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode