Mechanical Fan or Clutch for bbc serpentine - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
MPG
Michael

Mechanical Fan or Clutch for bbc serpentine

I have a 454 (bb) with a serpentine setup (the gm ones sold through summit for crate engines)and currently have a six blade fan (Flex-a-lite 1517) with a shroud and the summit direct fit aluminum radiator. It cools great, but am i giving up significant power? I bought a 2797 hayden thermal clutch and fan but figured it wouldnt work with the serp setup since its reverse rotation ... Am I good or should I seek out a clutch fan??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Mechanical Fan or Clutch for bbc serpentine

The clutch fan set-up will work better and use no power as long as the clutch is not engaged.
If w/pump is reverse rotation, you will need the same reverse rotation fan and clutch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

It would be nice if someone could find hp figures between the two. Flex a Lites will flatten out at speed for less drag hence their name. They look cooler too but Everett is right.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

These clutch fans are real old technology....
But so is a cloths peg and it still does the same job the best in the 21 st century.
Working on a late model mercedese today..funny has a clutch fan...
Clutch fans still spin up when disengaged...mind you stream air across those blades at 30 mph and no wonder they still spin.
A flex fan is still being driven...40 yr old boy racer technology with good propaganda ...sry marketing BS that still hangs around to this day...
Really got to hand it to those marketing guys back then, they really earnt ever penny they got.

The 40yr old technologhy of our cooling systems not only work as well as a peg these days, they where way over built and made out of better materials than todays cars.

Make sure the fan has a shroud.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

My '97 SL600 V12 has a clutch fan (bitch to change though).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
(bitch to change though).
And how often do u have to do it...maybe the GM ones are also more reliable....300,000 miles and on my 3rd....the 2nd was stuffed along with the engine, cams springs, trans, rear tyres, when the car got stolen (toweed not fire up), and when in secure police lock up they had a 'play'
At least the GM is not difficult.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
MPG
Michael

So are flex fans that awful? What changes would I see going to a thermal clutch? Thanks again for the input...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Flex gans are always turning as they do not have a clutch.
It takes power to pull air. Yes, they do flatten as rpm goes up, but they still pulling power.
Clutch fans take power only when engaged whether the clutch is rpm controlled, meaning the higher the rpm, they become disengaged, but always engaged at lower rpms, or thermal controlled - have a bimetal spring in the front, and engage when the ambient temperature through the radiator is high enough expanding the spring engaging the clutch. Once cooler air comes through, the fan disengages.
Also, thermal clutches are generally rpm controlled as well. Usually above 3000 rpm, thermals disengage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

The flex fans are garbage as has been mentioned! If you have ever been around one when they let loose you would never consider putting one on! They do not take the revs very well and develope stress cracks!

They actually can cut down on MPG and they do take away HP to run. Many tests out there showing a clutch fan actually makes HP over the flex fan!

Flex fans flatten out at higher rpm's. Eventully they flatten out and stay.......No longer move air as designed

They move the most air when you don't need it: Low RPM
They move the LEAST air when you DO need it: Higher RPM

lots of information on the internet to sway one from even considering one.

Clutch fan all the way!

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
What changes would I see going to a thermal clutch?
The most obvious is the visual, and when the hood is lifted and those old school expeianced guys think " Oh dear here is another one who doesnt know better.."
Another is fan noise, vibration, cavitation of the fan..... quieter...and noise requires energy to create... A free spinning fan requires none...when moving its driven by the moving air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode