temp guage off? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

temp guage off?

recerntly, my temp guage as been sitting in the red. I think the temp guage might not be operating correctly because the motor does not show any signs of overheating. When i lift the hood, the engine compartment seems to not have excessive heat. The engine seems to run fine without any detonation. i put one of those laser temp guages on different parts of the motor and it reads about 199 on the block in between the exhaust ports. when i drive on the freeway, the needle still stays in the red. Is it safe to say the guage is not operating correctly?

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 09:03 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: temp guage off?

If it is always maxed to the right, that usually indicates a ground problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

i wouldnt say it is always maxed to the right. It actually climbs as it warms up but it keeps going all the way to the red. It used to stay around the normal area which was staight up but recently, it started pegging to the right. When I pull the wire at the sending unit, it goes all the way to the left.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 12, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The head sensor probably needs changing.
You can change it out when cold.
I would remove the engine strap for better accessibility.
Have the new one in hand and unscrew the old one with one hand and replace with the other hand minimizing the amount of coolant lost.
No teflon tape as you want the sensor body grounded to the head.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

Ok, Thanks everett. Is there a way to check it? also, i noticed that my upper radiator hose is firm when the motor is running as though there is a lot of presure. is it supposed to have pressure? I thought it was supposed to feel spongy and i had already changed the thermostat.

angel

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Is it a factory gauge? If so, did the factory gauge cars also have an idiot light? Would be nice to have both - the light really gets your attention.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
Billy Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
The head sensor probably needs changing.
You can change it out when cold.
I would remove the engine strap for better accessibility.
Have the new one in hand and unscrew the old one with one hand and replace with the other hand minimizing the amount of coolant lost.
No teflon tape as you want the sensor body grounded to the head.
Same problem with mine. Changing the temp sensor did nothing. I put a mechanical gauge in. Its all about resistance and if the gauge is out of the threshold then you will never get it right. These old gauges will get you in trouble in a heartbeat if they are electrical. Its worth trying the sensor for 15 bucks first.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
Ok, Thanks everett. Is there a way to check it? also, i noticed that my upper radiator hose is firm when the motor is running as though there is a lot of presure.
Yes, a tight system and good cap, the upper hose will feel tight/firm.
One time long ago, I checked the resistance of the sending unit at operating temp.
An ohm reading from the spade to a good ground read approximately 200 ohms for an midrange gauge reading.
Whether or not it still applies today, I have no idea.

Sometimes, the gauge is broke.
You're welcome.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode