Those with original AC systems... - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Those with original AC systems...

...are you running R-12 or R-134a? ...and does the system actually work?

I'm building a 'twin' to a '67 pace car I used to own. The car I'm starting with is an original AC car, ...and I'm really stuck on whether or not to stick with the factory system, or go vintage air.
Overall, I am going with 'stock' appearance on the car, but if the factory AC system isn't going to work efficiently, it almost seems sensless to invest the money.
I'm curious to hear from others who kept their original system and are running 134a as to how it works.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 06:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Those with original AC systems...

not hijacking but I'm interested to hear opinions on this also. My plane jane '67 has factory a/c but even in best working order its still a 45yo system - not so great especially in FL heat.

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

I have factory ac with the old air products a-6 compressor replacement. Modern aluminum compressor that bolts right up to existing brackets and lines. Replaced the poa valve with the update cycle switch for 134. Cools great. The biggest thing is getting enough air flow over the condensor at idle or slow traffic speeds. Electric fans would make a big difference.

67 Camaro RS 327-275hp th350 3.08 rear gear
2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Running stock A/C with Freeze 12 and no complaints at all. Flushed the system replaced the drier and poa and blows icy cold. If you can still get R12 in your state than i would consider sticking with it. If not 134a is fine and works, changing to vintage air is not going to make any difference and you might as well make the move to freeze 12 or 134a.

Most of the "alternative" refrigerants are really nothing more than a slightly different blend with a fancy can. If you are unlucky, you actually get propane, butane, or some other flammable gas.( Not that it is going to explode as there have been no documented cases)

ALTERNATIVE REFRIGERANT BLENDS
•Free Zone (RB-276).
• Supplied by Refrigerant Gases, this blend contains 79% R-134a, 19% HCFC-142b and 2% lubricant.
•Freeze 12.
• Supplied by Technical Chemical, this blend contains 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b.
•FRIGC (FR-12).
• Made by Intermagnetics General and marketed by Pennzoil, this blend contains 59% R-134a, 39% HCFC-124 and 2% butane.
•GHG-X4 (Autofrost & McCool Chill-It).
• This blend is supplied by Peoples Welding Supply and contains 51% R-22, 28.5% HCFC-124, 16.5% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).
•GHG-HP
•. Also supplied by Peoples Welding Supply, this blend contains 65% R-22, 31% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).
•Hot Shot\Kar Kool.
• Supplied by ICOR, this blend contains 50% R-22, 39% HCFC-124, 9.5% HCFC-142b and 1.5% isobutane (R-600a).

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.

Last edited by 67RSSS; Feb 27th, 12 at 09:43 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

Still using R12. Works awesome. Have trouble keeping the belt on though, with the 302
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have a stock system (everything) and am running R134. I lowered the pressure setting on the POA valve (they are adjustable) from 34 psi to 29 and the system will blow 40 to 45 degree air out of the vents at 2000 RPM when its fully charged. I do have a leak on the threaded fitting of the tempt control valve, that I will fix some day.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Adjust your POA (no need to replace with cycling switch) per lookup on this site.

Replace your tube and fin condenser with a parallel manifold type.

You don't HAVE to, but it would be advisable to go with a modern compressor for less horsepower draw, weight and higher RPM capability (if you have a 4-speed), I use the Sanden.

Replace all your hoses with barrier type and seals with green R132A rated.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I have an original system, and still run R-12. It is readily available on Ebay and is about the same price as 134 (except in the spring when demand must go up). I have owned another car with Vintage Air, and no real difference except at idle. The original systems don't cool all that well at low RPM's. I have a 68 without a heater valve, so it is important to make sure the duct doors are working correctly and the rubber seals are good, or heated air from the heater core mixes with your nice cool air reducing vent temperatures. Many people put ball valves in the heater hoses to keep the hot coolant out of the core during the summer to avoid this problem. The fan doesn't blow hurricane force like most modern factory systems, but Vintage air systems don't blow like that either.

Assuming all the parts are there, you can probably get your original system running for the same money or less than a new system, and every part is readily available although some are functional replacements and not original in appearance.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 07:10 AM
MICK

i would call Curtis at classic auto air.(813-251-2356 ext 7024) they can help you going factory or aftermarket.. or a little of both.. Mick
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Classic's Engine Compartment or Compressor Upgrade options are pretty good for Factory AC Camaros.

I have the EC in my '67 with a '72 heater control valve to make it even more efficient.

No complaints.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Those with original AC systems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO4US View Post
i would call Curtis at classic auto air.(813-251-2356 ext 7024) they can help you going factory or aftermarket.. or a little of both.. Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Classic's Engine Compartment or Compressor Upgrade options are pretty good for Factory AC Camaros.

I have the EC in my '67 with a '72 heater control valve to make it even more efficient.

No complaints.
X3

While I have resurrected original systems using both R-12 and R-134a, I have had the very good success with Classic's 'Upgrade' systems on vehicles that the original system was missing/gone/compromised at a very affordable cost.
The Classic components allowed me to tailor the system to the vehicle owner needs and my want of an easy to install system that would not keep coming back to me for rework ...

The GM systems were very robust and can last a very long time if properly serviced and maintained - updating the needed replacement parts with quality stuff is just as (pun intended) in my book

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

...hey guys, ...THANKS for the feedback
In keeping with the factory look, ...this helps, ...so I'll probably for now reassemble the firewall with the factory suitcase and underdash parts (replacing core, seals and evaporator, etc.).
I saw those kits too, ...given me more reason to look into them

BTW...
Regarding the factory underdash heater box... Anybody know if the white plastic baffle is repro'd?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205598

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode