Champion VS. Entropy - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage
Champion VS. Entropy

I'm having some overheating issues & I'm considering a new aluminum radiator. I've narrowed it down to Champion & Entropy. I've researched both of them here and they seem to be quality units. Here are the advantages that I have noticed:
Champion:
Good unit at a good price (I'm looking at the 4-core).
Fits with no modification.
Will have to fabricate lower brackets to utilize stock shroud

Entropy:
Good unit at a slightly higher price (60-70 dollars)
Fits with no modification
I believe it comes with the tabs that allow me to use the stock shroud
Made in USA

I currently have my original Harrison 4-core. I had it gone through several years ago, but my car sat for quite a while before I installed the new motor. I flushed it out with a hose, but no way of knowing if it's partially plugged.
I also have a stock shroud & clutch fan with 7 blades. What do you guys think. I'm leaning towards Entropy, but have not made up my mind. Also since they are a Team Camaro Sponsor, do we get any kind of a discount?

thanks

Go big, or stay Home!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Champion VS. Entropy

You should check out Alumitech Radiators.

http://www.alumitechreproductions.com/

He has a big following on the Team Chevelle site and I'm going to get one for my 67. His website has a lot of good info about cooling myths and facts.

Mike

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
You should check out Alumitech Radiators.

http://www.alumitechreproductions.com/

He has a big following on the Team Chevelle site and I'm going to get one for my 67. His website has a lot of good info about cooling myths and facts.
X2, Great company, made in Michigan, USA.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I used the Summit Direct Fit - it says it's made by Northern Radiator out of Minnesota, but it could very well be imported from China by Northern - dunno. but anyway, I wouldn't let the fan shroud mounting thing bother you - these should work. They utilize the lower mounting bolts on each side and work just fine. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380660/

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Come on guys! You're supposed to make this easier for me, not harder.
So here is the recap:
Alumitech $495.00
Champion $279.00
Entropy $379.00
on both the Entropy & Champion filler necks are made from 6061 aluminum. Looks pretty heavy duty. could not tell on the Alumitech. Both the Alumitech & Entropy have the tabs that would allow me to use the stock shroud. I emailed Champion & they said I could fabricate brackets & attach to the bottom of the radiator.

Go big, or stay Home!

Last edited by Milt's 68 SS/RS 396; Mar 7th, 12 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 05:16 PM
Curtis

Just recieved my new Entrophy rad about a week ago, its for the ls3 conversion but from what I have seen so far is high quality on the welds, fit and finish.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

So Al how did the Summit radiator fit and work. Yammerhammer I also saw the brackets you mentioned & if I go the Champion route, I'll definitely get those. I'm wondering if the Champion 4 row vs. the Entropy 2 row provides more cooling or less?

Go big, or stay Home!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Had a champion three row on my BB, and AC, worked ok but
not good enough. I looked at entrophy, but bought a Griffin
2 row 1 1/2" tubes worked really great. I think you get better
airflow with a 2 row.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

The champion in the 71 started to seep at the header at the top, both right and left side after about a year and a half. Champion warrantied it, but blamed the engine for the problem.
My 408 ci small block with ac stays cool with my intrepid electric cooling fans during the heat of phoenix summers. BUT... I have temp problems when running the road course at firebird when it's warmer out. I can run for about 15 minutes and the temp gets to about 230. I have to pull into the pits.
When I do it again, I will buy a radiator with larger tubes, at least a 1" tube.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I've had no problems with my Champion three row. Drove it thirty minutes to the dyno one day, hopped right on it, did five runs, and ECT reading from the intake stayed at 178 and mechanical probe in the head stayed at 195 (180 degree stat). When I ping the head with an infrared gun it reads closer to 180 when the gauge reads 195. I think the tip is sitting right against the chamber.

However, look at your tube area more than the row count. You need surface area. If they cram four rows into the space someone else gets two, chances are you have more surface area with the two row.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have a Entropy in my 68. It is a solid roller 496 BB. and so far no issues. Fit was perfect.

1968 RS/SS 496 Solid Roller, AFR 290, Pro Systems 1000, TKO600, 12 Bolt 4.11's

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm running the Alumitech - looks very close to a stock radiator and cools my 408 nicely. I would not hesitate to go this route again.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

I ordered the one from Entropy last night. Seems like the 2-row is the way to go. Plus I like that it's made in America. I appreciate all of the input. I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Go big, or stay Home!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 12, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

All right I received my new radiator. It was packaged very well, no chance for damage. Interesting note, while waiting for the radiator I ordered a set of new mounting hardware. When it showed up I wanted to see how the rubber compression nuts worked. I discovered that one of my originals was still in the bottom hole after 40 something years! I had just used a bolt & nut in the hole above it. Here are a few pictures more to come....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	27761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	27762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	27764  

Go big, or stay Home!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 12, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

I really like the radiator it seems to be constructed very well. It did not come with any instructions at all. Not that you really need them to install the radiator, but it would have been nice for the brackets that the shroud attach to. On the passenger side the bracket did not quite extend far enough to reach the area of the shroud where it clips on. I cut a piece of metal I had in the shop & screwed it to the bracket & the ground down the points of the screws. after that everything went together nice. All of the holes were easy to match up since the radiator brackets had slotted holes. Only problem was I didn't tighten the top trans cooler line enough and I made a bit of a mess shiz happens! I took it for a test drive and my gauge did not get over the 1/2 way mark while cruising for about 20 minutes. But I continue to experience a big miss once the engine reaches operating temperature. It's a mystery to me. I'm going to try & figure out how to set the overall timing. Initial is at 8 degrees. But I think the Entropy radiator is a good product & a step in the right direction in solving my cars issues,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	27765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	27766  

Go big, or stay Home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode