console temp gauge - where should needle be? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

console temp gauge - where should needle be?

Just want to make sure my console temp gauge is working right.
There are no labels or numbers on this. Even after running the car for a half hour, the needle never gets too far past the first black line.

I guess I'm just used to the ones that have operating range about half way.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: console temp gauge - where should needle be?

One small line past the 1/4 scale large line is about where all 68/69 Camaros with the console mounted gauge run.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 12:14 PM
Retired
Jim

Yep mine ran one 'tick' (small line) past the first larger black line (1/4 line)

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

I have a 67 and it always reads at 1/4 and you can tell the car never gets hot
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi 68RS
I went thru some Cooling Issues with my 69 427 BB, lots of info out there and tried a bunch of stuff.

And I agree with you as to What do the Different Lines on the Console Gauge or Dash Gauge represent for Temperatures.

I read somewhereabout the Yellow part of the Gauge being 212 Deg. and the Red being 230 Deg.

I had all my Gauges Cleaned and Recalibrated by Instrument Specialties in North Kingston, RI.
I can only assume my Gauge’s will give me the Proper readings, that being from where they get the Voltage or How much Resistance in the Circuit.

I started with a Hot Running BB and did get some “Pegging” of my Temperature Gauge.
I played with Thermostats 160/ 180 Deg., Fan Clutch, Radiatorsand I will say I finally got my Cooling issues under Control.

Using my eBay Laser Temp Gun, I felt the Readings on my Gauge was not correct, Always in or above the start of the Yellow Bar.

I also bought 3 Temperature Sending Units and all they do is Limit the Voltage going to Ground, I tried getting a consistent reading with each, bought a Mechanical Gauge just to see where my Temps were. Each Temperature Sending unit, all for the BB had different OHM resistant, from 570 to 640 OHM’s.

I had bought a small Hot Plate a while ago and decided to do a little test, Heated a pot of water till Boiling, Where I live in CT 210 Deg.+ . Had the Hot Plate on top of the Radiator Support, Put the Mechanical Gauge sending unit and one of the Sending units with a Jumper only to the Threads,
Mechanical 210, Console Gauge – pegged.
Kept the water at a Boil, switched the 3 Sending units around and one of them stayed just at the start of the Yellow !

Installed that on in my Intake Manifold (L-72 Winters Foundry) and with a 180 Deg. Thermostat, I can see the Temp climb over 180 and then settle down to Just above the Middle Mark, I will call that 180 Deg.

I also did a little Power Point/ Calculator Picture of what my Gauge will read.
It is Only what I think my car is at, while running.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Temperature Gauge Running Temp.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	130817  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I have a problem keeping the temp high enough. I have a ramjet 350 with aluminum radiator and 180 thermostat and it takes forever to get to temp. Someone told me that it takes longer if I have headers that cool better? But anyway, I'm going with a 195 stat in the spring.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Mine behaves and reads very similar to Timmy above for the same reasons... also checked in an electric jug with a thermometer hooked up to the gauge from cold

Originally.. factory.. they came out with 195 deg thermostats....but list replacements as 180 deg. I have no idea why.
The only original which Im only close to 100% knowing it is, has a slightly smaller diameter full open hole
My thermostat opens where the needle is on the pic above, and runs slightly below vertical around town and lightly over it on open highway

Slow getting to temp can be a couple things.
1/ no bypass hole ... This hole / valve allows min flow thru the thermostat so as not to get hot spots in the engine AND to allow the hotter water move up to the thermostat to open it AND to the sensor on the other side of the closed thermostat.
2/ The valve in the by pass hole has been removed or a by pass hole has been drilled and too big....allowing far too much coolant thru, cooling the engine too fast before reaches temp.
3/ Gauge reads wrong...dont use the infra red things... test as per mentioned above.. either method, pot or jug... u are reading actual temp at the sensor.. not the temp of the thermostat housing exterior surface.. which if shiny will be even more inaccurate.

Also the idiot light sensor goes on at 235 degs.. which is the same temp as the red line on the gauge.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode