Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Deionized vs Distilled

I'm getting ready to fill up my radiator (aluminum) for the first time. I understand that I need to run a 50/50 mixture Water/Coolant, but I believe I've heard some say I need deionized water but others say distilled is fine. Can someone in the know tell me exactly the combo I should run for the best, long lasting, trouble free results?
I see they sell already mixed coolant in the auto part stores but I have trouble with the $20+/gal price tag. Is this really what coolant cost nowadays and is this stuff really what I want?
Hopefully someone has a great solution... no pun intended.
Thanks, Jim

No School Like The Old School!
67 RS 4 Speed with Big Block conversion
12 bolt with Richmond 3.90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Deionized vs Distilled

I've always bought the concentrated antifreeze and diluted it myself with distilled water so I really know what I'm putting in my radiators. There are a ton of online sources describing the differences between distilled, deionized and RO water, I've provided link to one below. I never looked for deionized water so I don't know where you get it. I've used the distilled water to mix antifreeze in my cars for over 30 years with absolutely no cooling system corrosion problems whatsoever (I change coolant every 3 years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first).

Deionized Water vs Distilled Water: What's the Difference

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes coolant has gotten expensive and that is because the EPA now REQUIRES the person selling the coolant to take your used volume of old coolant back and have it properly recycled to keep it out of the local environment. No more pouring it in a ditch to get rid of it. That drives up the price (having to haul off the old coolant as a hazardous waste) and you have already paid for the service so why not use it.

Deionized means just that. All of the ions in the water have been reduced until it is of a pH of 7.0; or neutral. You can still have alcohol or calcium carbonate or any other solutes dissolved in the water it is conditioned so that they are neither acidic, nor basic (the opposite of acidic) and generally buffered to remain so.

Distilled means they have taken water from almost any source, and boiled it to create water vapor. They then condense the water vapor (in a still) until it forms water gain. This process leaves any minerals or other solutes from the water back in the boiler (usually as scale). As such you have chemically pure water (reagent grade).

Big Dave

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 06:25 PM
John

Garage

in SoCal you don't need to run 50/50 You can run 30% coolant to 70% distilled and it will cool better then 50/50 and still give you way more freeze protection then you'll ever need.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I just completed a flush and refill with Prestone 50/50 ($9.00 gal at walmart). I used two gallons with a top of of complete coolant.

I added an anode in the radiator at the same time. It didn't have one prior.

Dave mentioned "hungry water" in one of his posts and I took at as a no/no to use. I don't recall if he was referring to ionized or de-iozed.

My old green coolant had an electrolysis reading of .189 off my vom fluke. 5 years ago it was at .067 , so I take it that it was time to change or called spent coolant.

I got this link not long ago. It may explain the measurement process but I am sure there are other methods.
San Carlos Radiator - Electrolysis Information

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Use deionized. If you buy Prestone 50/50 it's mixed with deionized. You can get it at your local groc store.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Be careful with DI water as its very corrosive. Just because its pure doesnt make it inert.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 17, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Okay so the jury is still out... COPO says use deionized but others say distilled. It sounds like deionized is the way to go and distilled is the fall back? I have about a week to figure this out since I start my work week tomorrow, Then I'll be topping off all the fluids and trying to fire her up for the first time in 27 years!
Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty excited!
Thanks, Jim

No School Like The Old School!
67 RS 4 Speed with Big Block conversion
12 bolt with Richmond 3.90's
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

call the maker of your radiator!
when I bought my champion radiator I asked what type of water to use. I was told DRINKING WATER. of coarse I said you can drink it all. he explained walmart sells a "drinking water" and to use that. never well or distilled water
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 04:10 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Speed67CamaroRS View Post
Okay so the jury is still out... COPO says use deionized but others say distilled. It sounds like deionized is the way to go and distilled is the fall back? I have about a week to figure this out since I start my work week tomorrow, Then I'll be topping off all the fluids and trying to fire her up for the first time in 27 years!
Gotta tell ya, I'm pretty excited!
Thanks, Jim
In all those answers, I didn't see anybody step up and offer to warranty your radiator. The people that are warrantying your radiator, the company that made it, will be more than glad to tell you what to use so you don't void your warranty.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 04:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I doubt it much matters which you do but if you choose DI mix it with the antifreeze before putting it in the cooling system. Never put it in straight. The goal being reached for here is a pure water for the antifreeze and either Distilled or DI will get you there. DI however run straight is an amazing corrosive. Some classify it as a solvent. We pipe it at work and the only thing that puts up a fight with it using conventional pipe is 316 stainless. It will make short work of a copper heater core. You need to pollute it with the antifreeze to negate the effects of being nearly ion free. Google it. You will find that to some degree the difference between DI and distilled is an argument between chemists. You will likely also find yourself running distilled.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 05:31 AM
John

Garage

I believe you are overthinking this issue.

We used to pour in a gallon of coolant and top it off with a garden hose and never experienced any issues.

For the past 15 year I use coolant and distilled water in my aluminum radiators.

If you're really that concerned pick up some Evans Muscle Car Coolant. It's waterless and only cost about $120 or so to fill your radiator.
HawkX66 likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 05:48 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I believe you are overthinking this issue.
X2.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Check out some of the information in Education tab in the website shown below, probably more than you want to know about electrolysis in auto cooling systems, but very interesting reading. Interesting anode test results and descriptions of several methods of flushing a cooling system that I'd not heard of. The information provided makes the use of an anode in the cooling system sound like a no brainer, cheap protection.

Welcome to VoltageDrop Solutions. We offer help for Ford Vehicles suffering from Electrolysis!

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 17, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I used distilled for many years until I read what Prestone put in theirs, so I tried it the last time. I'm not a Chemist, just a car guy. If I can't find deionized I use distilled. Just don't use tap water cause the rad will build up with white calcium.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode