Water Temp Goes Up Around Corners? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Water Temp Goes Up Around Corners?

My 383 is runing around 197 to 200 degrees on average with a 180 T-stat, clutch fan/shroud, aluminum 4 core radiator. My old 350 ran at 185-190 with the same setup,

Odd thing is that when I go around corners, it goes up a few degrees over 200, then drops down again. I can stop and get gas, and it will drop to 185 within a couple of minutes then warm back to 197-200. When I stop to idle, it has gone to 210, but normally sits at 196.

Does this sound like I've got a faulty gauge or air in the system? I've bled it with a bleeding funnel and didn't see much bubble out.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 10:29 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Water Temp Goes Up Around Corners?

Does sound like air trapped. Have you tried jacking the front end way up ?

Or could the probe be hitting something in a turn ?

Weird

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Had this happen to me after replacing a radiator ended up being air trapped
so I drained it down again and filled it at the water neck 1st straight into the
intake then topped off the radiator problem solved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

Burp the motor so to speak. While motor is cold, remove the radiator cap. Turn engie on and let it idle to operating temp (190). Check the radiator for bubbles. Whne the bubble stop and you can see water flowing normally, engine is burped and air should be gone.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Will do guys. I'll burp it again and see what happens..

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Just burped the radiator again. It coughed up a bit of coolant as it idled while warm. I'm assuming that's normal since the cap was off? Ran it down the road and getting the same thing. 50mph I'm at 200 degrees. Go around a corner and it goes up a couple of degrees momentarily, then comes back down. At idle I'm still around 197 degrees.

One thing. I didn't notice the coolant level drop once it hit 180 and the t-stat should have opened up. The hoses were hot though. Is this an issue?

I ran this same radiator on my test stand, and ran 185/190 all day long. However, I did have the radiator on a wooden stand that I could roll around. It fell face forward before I put it in, and did some minor damage to a few of the fins, but I can't imagine that would screw up the radiator's performance?

Next steps I'm going to use a laser temp gun and see how hot it's actually getting, especially the lower hose versus the upper to see if the radiator is doing its job.

Still don't understand the turning corner thing...

Thoughts?

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

When the stat opens, the temp will drop. Try another rad cap yet? Make sure that if your using an overflow/return jug that your using this type of cap.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old May 15th, 17, 02:58 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well two things stick in my head, one being yeah the fluid level should drop once the thermostat open while you are watching with the cap off.
Are you sure you have the level at the cold line of the radiator?
Second I always find it helpful when flushing or burping air out of the system to have her parked on a slight angle.
My driveway is on a hill so that works well. The idea is that the radiator cap is the highest landmark so the air travels toward that easier.
And I would review the flow and level with the cap off the first and second opening of the thermostat cycles just to makes sure the cycles complete.
Then shut down and let cool and see where the fluid level is. Button on the cap and do the same cycle and see what the gauge says under pressure.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old May 15th, 17, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Hey, I'm not nearly smart enough to be trying to answer questions here, so I'll ask another question.

You say it worked fine with the previous 350.

When you installed the 383 did anything at all change regarding the location, position or method of install on the temp sending unit?

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old May 15th, 17, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Different vehicle but maybe same problem. I had a 2009 avalanche that i decided to do major performance work to. I put trick flow heads and. Comp cam in. All i did with the radiator is take it out, plug the ends and put on the shelf. When i put everything back together and started her up and took for a ride it would overheat real bad.
Tried burping the system changing t-stat to no avail. Turns out my radiator went bad by just sitting on a shelf for the weekend.
Now im wondering that maybe from being empty a bunch of scale had formed in the radiator causing blockages?? Can it be possible??
So i would swap out the radiator and see what happens
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks for the input everyone. Radiator level is full, and it always seems to burp itself back to the same level, which is about 2" below the cap after shutting down and cooling off. I've also tried a couple of caps with the same results.

I'm thinking that perhaps I need to give it a little more timing. I'm at 12 degrees BTDC and 34 degrees all in @ 3K. If I increase this to 36 degrees, maybe I'll get the temps perfect?

If that doesn't work, then I'll look towards a better radiator.

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 07:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

My rad would butp too. All it takes is a restriction to hinder performance
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I don't know about the corner thing, but your 383 most likely makes more HP than the 350,and with the same cooling system I'd think it would be normal for the 383 to be a little warmer.

Just for comparison. I have a 180* T-stat, my 421 runs 180-187* in in the cooler months,185-195* in summer,Maybe 200-205* in heavy stop and go traffic. I have one temp sending unit in the drivers side head front,and one in the passenger side rear which runs a little warmer by 5-7*

Aluminum radiator, dual fans at different on/off temp settings.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
I don't know about the corner thing, but your 383 most likely makes more HP than the 350,and with the same cooling system I'd think it would be normal for the 383 to be a little warmer.

Just for comparison. I have a 180* T-stat, my 421 runs 180-187* in in the cooler months,185-195* in summer,Maybe 200-205* in heavy stop and go traffic. I have one temp sending unit in the drivers side head front,and one in the passenger side rear which runs a little warmer by 5-7*

Aluminum radiator, dual fans at different on/off temp settings.
I was thinking the same thing. We're talking about roughly another 100HP over the 350. If I'm at 200 driving down the road, I would have to guess that I could get to 210-215 sitting in traffic in the Florida summer. If I can't get the temps down with a little more timing, this seems to be borderline too hot? Not really wanting to buy another radiator setup, but will do what I need to do.

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 10:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. We're talking about roughly another 100HP over the 350. If I'm at 200 driving down the road, I would have to guess that I could get to 210-215 sitting in traffic in the Florida summer. If I can't get the temps down with a little more timing, this seems to be borderline too hot? Not really wanting to buy another radiator setup, but will do what I need to do.
I don't think 210*ish sitting in traffic is bad, See what adjusting timing does. Then also check the condition of your fan/clutch. maybe it's time for a new one,or heavy duty one ? they run $30-$40 I think.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode