2Likes
  • 1 Post By cv2065
  • 1 Post By flat tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
GY

Radiator/Fan from Auto City Classic

67 Camaro 327, manual trans, cam, and headers.

My temp would rise up to 200 plus on hot days in traffic and I am considering a new radiator with electric fan kit.

I have read all the post saying stick with OE so my mind isn't made up 100% yet. Not looking for any advise on that yet. Just looking for anyone who has purchased a radiator w/fan from Auto City Classic. The price is considerably less (half) than others. I do want direct fit if I make the purchase. The one I am looking at is their Product ID : SL283-L-AT-F . Anyone out there have knowledge of the product??

And YES, I know they are built overseas. Not a big deal to me, but I understand and respect those who only purchase US built.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Radiator/Fan from Auto City Classic

Never ordered from them, but if you can't go down there in person in the event that you have an issue, I'd play it safe with Summit, JEGS, Amazon or one of the major Camaro parts houses...In that order. If you have an issue with a part, and are spending a good amount of money, these retailers make it right and do so quickly.

Before you spend big bucks on an electric fan setup, I'd try to diagnose your issues with your stock setup and get that to work if possible. The radiator is just one piece of it....Shroud, water pump, pulleys, belt clutch, fan, timing...all play a part. I've got a 383 that I'm diagnosing right now, and after some trial and error, think it lies with the radiator, so have one ordered one from Griffin/Summit and will put it in next week. I run a stock fan and shroud as well. Plenty of reputable manufacturers like Be Cool, Griffin, US Radiator, Ron Davis, etc. to buy from...
rp930 likes this.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

since you don't want to hear about other radiators. all I will say is, CHEAP IS NOT ALWAYS BEST
rp930 likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 05:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
67 Camaro 327, manual trans, cam, and headers.
Quote:
SL283-L-AT-F
This part number is for an automatic transmission. You state that you have a manual. Why are you paying for the A.T. option when you don't need it if you are worried about price?

Brett

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
GY

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I am new to the game and still trying to figure things out.

Unfortunately for me, price is a big factor... but maybe saving a little more and buying one from a more reputable dealer is the way to go. Just means more time in the garage and less on the road.. ugh!

As for as the AT vs Man.. that was the only one they offered. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I can use that model for a manual transmission.

Either way, I appreciate the knowledge being passed on. I am young man, trying to learn before making any decision.

Thanks again! G
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

You can use one for an A/T with a manual, but if it were me, I would purchase the radiator that was for my set up. It would seem to me that the portion of the radiator that is designed to cool the transmission fluid, with no transmission fluid in it, would not cool as efficiently as one without it. You would be spending more money for a less efficient radiator.

Brett

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Have you thought about bringing your radiator to a local radiator shop to have it rebuilt or at the least have it checked out. A stock set up should work fine with your drivetrain. Take Chads advice and look at each part of the cooling system.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

Read post #2 here:

It doesn't all apply to you but there are a lot of good suggestions there. I followed Wheatons recommendations and it worked very well for me.

1966 396 short water pump or alum rad/elec fans? - Chevelle Tech

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
GY

I'll look more into the condition of the current radiator and taking to a local shop this week. Not sure at what point, you repair or you cut bait and buy new.

As for Wheatons post.. Wow, that man has it down to a science. I read it all and will definitely use some information there!

Thanks again for all the help and advice..

Thanks again! G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode