Coolant Temp Sensor Location: Head or Intake? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
Coolant Temp Sensor Location: Head or Intake?

Since there are some cooling questions currently, I'll add another; I am in the process of switching my incorrect Quadra-Jet Intake out for a Dual-Plane Air Gap intake to match up with my Holley 650, and since I'm in a good place for placing my Temp sensor in the best place, where is it? initially, I had it in the left rear intake. Then, when I wasn't getting much activity on my temp gauge, when I upgraded to the Roller Cam, I went ahead and moved the sensor to the forward left-hand port in the intake, right next to the T-Stat. My engine is a 1966 396 with 3904390 oval port heads. I keep noticing people using the forward-Left port in the head. Can you guys offer feedback on any advantages/dis-advantages to these different locations?

Thanks All!

Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Coolant Temp Sensor Location: Head or Intake?

I've always put the temp sensor between 1 and 3 on the driver's side head. I believe that this is the hottest area that can be gauged and is about 10-15 degrees cooler than the intake, at least according to my laser. Some run gauges in both spots.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

I cannot comment on the actual coolant temp difference between the head and the intake locations for the temp probe. I have a RPM air gap intake, and installed my coolant temp probe into the intake coolant port close to the T-Stat housing.

I used to have my coolant temp probe installed in the head between the #1 and #3 cylinders, but I found the temp wire from the probe was always getting in the way when I was changing the spark plugs... and I always had to double check that the temp wire was not touching the header.

It all comes down to personal preference, but I think the temp probe install looks cleaner at the intake manifold... with the wire running along the top side of the valve cover back to the fire wall. I never liked the look of the temp probe wire coming out from the head location.

I also wanted to know how my thermostat was working. By placing the coolant temp probe by the thermostat, I have a clear indication of when my thermostat was opening and that it is operating correctly. I have a 180 degree thermostat and my temp gauge reads 180 degrees at full operating temp.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Mike

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

After I posted this question I went out and looked at my heads.....I don't have a port in my heads for a temp sensor! That was an easy decision, haha. I will leave it in the port next to the thermostat when I get my air gap intake.

Brett....

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode