some answers please - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
gene

some answers please

Ok here is the problem, I just had a new 383 built and dynoed at 600 hp (598) pump gas motor AFR alum heads and a hyd roller cam. It has an AFCO 2 row aluminum radiator,victor aluminum water pump(35mpm) 160 thermostat, 3300 cfm electric fan w/shroud. It goes up to 180 when I first start driving then drops down to 160 then up to 180 then down to 175 then 190 then 200, 205, 210. i dont understand how some cars that have 1200 hp run cool. can someone give me some insight on how to cool this b***h down cause id really like to drive it when temps go above 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Garage
Re: some answers please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neat69 View Post
Ok here is the problem, I just had a new 383 built and dynoed at 600 hp (598) pump gas motor AFR alum heads and a hyd roller cam. It has an AFCO 2 row aluminum radiator,victor aluminum water pump(35mpm) 160 thermostat, 3300 cfm electric fan w/shroud. It goes up to 180 when I first start driving then drops down to 160 then up to 180 then down to 175 then 190 then 200, 205, 210. i dont understand how some cars that have 1200 hp run cool. can someone give me some insight on how to cool this b***h down cause id really like to drive it when temps go above 70
Your radiator does not have enough surface area to cool the heat generated by your engine. I've attached a link to the 57 Chevy Jeff Lutz drove on drag week a few years back. Look at the size of the radiator, that what it takes to cool 1200 hp on the street.

PRI 2013: Jeff Lutz's Lightweight "Evil Twin" Drag Week 1957 Chevy - Dragzine

Thanks,

Jeff

1968 Camaro
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 01:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

First thing; Did you remove ALL air from the cooling system? I have a Lisle funnel. Another thought could be your fans possibly turning the wrong direction? Maybe they are pushing instead of pulling. Wonder if they are turning on at the correct temp, but maybe cutting off too soon. That would create a gradual warm up. Another issue that I ran into with my 72 Chevelle with 454 & 6-71 blower was my exhaust primaries were too small, not allowing the exhaust to leave the engine efficiently. My primaries were running at 500 degrees! I put hedders on with 2" primaries and it totally fixed the issue.

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
gene

Fans turning correct direction plus it is constantly on and the primaries are 1 7/8 with 3 inch exhaust
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
gene

Plus I cant get a radiator like the evil twin, that thing is the size of Utah
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

hate to tell you, but lose the electric fans and solve your problem
I had the same problem with my 383 and went to a belt driven fan and now mine runs 165-175 all day long
I do have a 3 row champion
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

When does the temp go up above 190.... cruising above 40mph, or in slower stop-n-go traffic?

If it is above 40mph, some possibilities could be your air/fuel mixture could be too lean, incorrect timing, air pocket in coolant, bad thermostat, or the obvious... your radiator is still to small (or clogged).

If you are running hotter at slower speeds (and stop-n-go traffic) and ok at cruise, then I agree with Kevin's post... go to a belt driven fan.

I run a Dart SHP 400 small block, AFR heads (est 500+HP), and I have a 31" wide Summit Universal 2 tube radiator with a belt driven 7 blade clutch fan w/shroud... and I never get above 180 (even when the outside temp is above 90 degrees - cruise and stop-n-go). I run a 180 degree thermostat.

I was told a single electric fan is not going to pull the same amount of air thru the radiator as a good old fashion belt driven fan. I also positioned my fan so the blades are 1/2 way within the shroud and 1/2 exposed. I don't know whether it's true or not... but I was told the fan will pull more air thru the radiator this way. I also put some HVAC weather stripping between the fan shroud and the radiator for a tight seal.

Below are a couple photos of my set-up.
https://app.box.com/s/34vm7tr0xhebfu9oypynnpcetw8ct15s
https://app.box.com/s/d2aqair82udqvmwhl3q7iz1l4t5m0hg7

Hope this helps.
Mike

Last edited by oldschoolchevy; May 27th, 17 at 07:59 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I know a few people who went with a 160 thermostat and had overheating problems. I've used a 180 for decades and never had a problem.

The engine needs to get to a certain temp to burn off moisture in the oil, running under 180 seems very unhealthy for the oil and the engine.

If I were you I'd swap the 160 for a 180 first. If that doesn't help try a belt driven fan with a properly set up shroud and that should do it. If still no, might have to step up to a larger rad.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 10:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I started at 493hp at the wheel, now 500Hp+ at the wheel with my small block,180 T-stat Griffen radiator with dual electric fans with different on off temps 185/195. I don't have weird fluctuations and don't think I've ever seen over 210* yet accept for during dyno runs it got a little warmer. Also run an edelbrock alum water pump.

Put a 180 or 190* t-stat in so the car warms up. Then check your fan on off temps and water temp senor location/accuracy. The rear passenger side head runs the warmest on a sbc. My auto meter console gauge is on the drivers head,my fan control ECU sensor is in the passenger head.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 17, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Could be tuned too lean also.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 17, 06:29 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

What fan/s are you running ?
Does it/they have a shroud/s ?

Look into a Mark VIII fan, electric, has a shroud, and moves a ton of air

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
gene

what year mark VIII? what is the CFM
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I run a 600 hp (engine dyno) 383 in my '33 Ford and it will stay at 180 all day, idling or driving. I run 36 degrees total timing, 20 degrees initial and have a Walker copper and brass radiator, with no shroud........but I had to take out my Spal electric fan, which was a puller not a pusher, and now run a 5 blade GM 16" fan.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 17, 04:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy68 View Post
Your radiator does not have enough surface area to cool the heat generated by your engine. I've attached a link to the 57 Chevy Jeff Lutz drove on drag week a few years back. Look at the size of the radiator, that what it takes to cool 1200 hp on the street.

PRI 2013: Jeff Lutz's Lightweight "Evil Twin" Drag Week 1957 Chevy - Dragzine
Actually that is a misconception to an extent. There are different core types that cool better than the next. For my 572 pushing a potential 820-890hp with the meth injection I was running into clearance issues. C&R Racing helped me out by building me a one off custom shroud with a prototype Spal fan. They also assured me that if for some reason there wasn't enough clearance to the serpentine system that they would build me a NASCAR type rad that is only 1" thick that has superior cooling traits and a healthy price tag to match of $2400.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
gene

So i ordered a Lincoln mark viii fan i found on ebay ($70 ) it was cheap enough and fit perfect from tank to tank and top to bottom and looks good too. I ordered the Ron Francis relay kit, wired it up and took it for a ride and it was FREAKING perfect. never went above 170. So in case you need to cool a high HP motor and dont want to spend big $$$$ get one it works. Thanks Doug G for the info on the fan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	186698  
Brettallen59 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode