Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
69 AC/heater core question!

I had my AC charged for the first time and only gets down to about 60 degrees coming out of the vent. I note that my heater core is still circulating antifreeze because the vacuum switch in the engine compartment doesn't have vacuum to it in order to shut off the flow via that heater control valve.

So my question is: would the flow going to the heater core actually HEAT up the air coming out from the AC vents or would the heater core simply be like a radiant heater sitting by the passengers feet (not actually heating the AC air but heating the area right by their feet?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 69 AC/heater core question!

Yes it would.
There may be a hose connection on TEMP switch to engine vacuum to valve for shutting off core flow.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 17, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Yes is right! I'm in the process of sorting out my AC on my 69. Between the electrical and the vacuum there's a lot that can go wrong.

I believe I've solved my electrical issue but am waiting for a new fan blower switch as that's where I believe my issue is.

Regarding the vacuum, I too was only getting 60 degrees at the vent after charging and just noticed the vacuum line that runs to the canister inside the drivers fender well is disconnected from the intake manifold. I just hooked it back up but won't have a chance to try it out till tomorrow or Monday. I'm concerned that it was disconnected for a reason but who knows.

I will need to pull the temp controls out to change the switch and will inspect and test the vacuum switch under the dash.

Ed

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I think I am just going to put a manual heater core flow manual shut off valve in where I can cut the flow for the spring and summer and open it for the fall when I would actually use heat. What else does the vacuum do for the AC under the dash besides sending vacuum to close flow to the heater core in the engine bay? Is there any good diagram of this? I know it also goes to the kick panel vents but I just leave those shut anyway. Anything else that is important to the AC?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

The diagram you want to look at is in the assembly manual C60 E9. It will show you that in addition to the heater shut off it controls the two valves that allow you to choose inside air vs outside air.

Outside air is used for vent and AC normal or heat. Inside air is used for AC max.

Ed
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 06:08 AM
Retired
Jim

I had the same issue years ago, solved the heat flow issue with a brass plumbing valve, the type used in Wirsbo floor heat tubing, got it at Ace Hdwe. It has the barbed ends and simple shut off bar on top.

http://www.carsbyjim.com/storage/Mis...utoffvalve.JPG

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I'm going to try and get mine working with the vacuum lines. If not I may have to resort to adding a valve.

Ed
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

This is what I ordered

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Manual valve, the best type.
1968RallySport likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

The Classic Auto Air system I'm installing uses an electric heater valve on a slide switch. I'm not sure I understand the logic of having the valve half-open. I don't see it making much of a difference if the heater coil is full of water (and if the valve is open at all, I assume it will fill pretty quickly).

That said, the valve that comes with the kit is quiet and can be managed electrically. I'm guessing something similar can be found as a stock replacement from some car.

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

but in the end again would this actually make the air coming out of the vents warmer just because water is still going to the heater core???

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
but in the end again would this actually make the air coming out of the vents warmer just because water is still going to the heater core???
That's what I think. Haven't fully installed the system so I really can't comment on how it works in practice. I do think it works well just as a remote on/off valve. I don't think the core\evaporator unit has a mixing door on that system. I'm guessing they expect the mixed temp to occur from less heated water flow through the core.

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I installed the device above and now it is 51 degrees coming out of the vent? Not sure of what it should be but at least it is colder. I am using the R134 stuff and not freon

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Good news is it went in the right direction. For R12, it should get ~40F. There's lots of debate over R134 and it's ability or not to get that cold. Where you are isn't bad at all.

How much r134 did you put in? Did you check your pressures and have they changed since you charged indicating a potential leak? Just because there's no leak during the vacuum doesn't mean that there won't be one after you charge the system with much higher pressure albeit positive vs negative.

Ed
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I had the system charged by a station and they troubleshot the problem to the heater control valve not shutting and said I didn't have to pay for it until I was able to fix it and see that it worked fine. So now that it works I will have them check the charge again and if good then I might be golden!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode