2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilikeike
  • 1 Post By dyno jonn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Plugging heater core hoses

I've removed my two heater hoses and plugged both the water pump and intake just to clean up the engine compartment as I don't need the heater. Any issues with doing this or should I reinstall the hoses? I've read quite a few opinions going both ways, hot spots, etc. I believe the block is a '98 roller block, if that makes any difference. Seems to be working OK with respect to engine temps.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Plugging heater core hoses

I can't think of a reason that this would cause an issue.

Ed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

A factory SBC has a bypass built into the block on the right side, when you have the water pump off you can see it.
My Dart block does not have this,I installed a bypass hose for this reason,just in case I ever plug or remove my heater which is always bypassing on my 68.

Edit: not sure if the newer blocks like yours have that though.
ZZ_430 likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
A factory SBC has a bypass built into the block on the right side, when you have the water pump off you can see it.
My Dart block does not have this,I installed a bypass hose for this reason,just in case I ever plug or remove my heater which is always bypassing on my 68.

Edit: not sure if the newer blocks like yours have that though.
I've read that '96 and newer blocks have an external hose, while older blocks have the internal bypass. I don't recall seeing it when I had the pump off, but didn't really pay attention either. Any way to tell with the pump on?

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 01:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
I've read that '96 and newer blocks have an external hose, while older blocks have the internal bypass. I don't recall seeing it when I had the pump off, but didn't really pay attention either. Any way to tell with the pump on?
I honestly don't know. might have to do some googling.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

By the way, forgot to mention that I have a Stewart t-stat that already has 3 holes in the housing for coolant flow. Takes a while for the car to warm up versus a regular thermostat. Does that say anything with respect to an internal bypass?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 17, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

After Googling a little, looks like my block is an 880 series, so must have the bypass built in, as those blocks began production in '86 or '87. When I drain the radiator, both the intake and water pump drain as well, so I have to believe that it has a bypass built in that connects the two together. That said, I have Vortec heads, and have read that they do not benefit from the internal bypass? Can anyone explain that a little better?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage

I was thinking of doing the same to my car since my heater does not work right now anyway.

Is you heater core still in the car? What did you do with 2 heater core hose ports? Did you plug these with something too? Also were did you get the plugs for the water pump and intake?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1969 Camaro - LeMans Blue
383ci Stroker ~ M22 4-speed ~ 12-Bolt Posi-3.73
AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR77 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same to my car since my heater does not work right now anyway.

Is you heater core still in the car? What did you do with 2 heater core hose ports? Did you plug these with something too? Also were did you get the plugs for the water pump and intake?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Although I don't think I'd have any issues, I just added the heater hoses back in. I was thinking maybe they would lend a hand in heat dispersal since they are routing the coolant into the heater and back, and in Florida, you need all the help you can get. Just took it out for a spin today, and its roughly 98 degrees out, and never saw a hair over 190. Mostly 180 - 185, which I'm pleased with.

To answer your question, yes the heater core was still in the car. The two ports I just capped off with two 1/2" chrome plugs that I bought from Summit. You can get a small chrome set that includes all sizes for about $12. Some say to use aluminum or brass plugs on an aluminum intake/pump, but that's what I used. Plugged the heater core ports with a couple of rubber caps that again, you can get from Summit and you should be good to go!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Brass doesn't chemically, mechanically, or electrically fuse itself to aluminum. An aluminum plug will often gall when used on aluminum. The same often happens with steel fittings in aluminum intakes. Brass fittings are much more forgiving, and can usually be removed even years later with no damage to threads.
1968RallySport likes this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode